Throwback to the ’90s with Aladdin

Mikaila Wilkerson, Assistant Scene Editor

Disney lovers rejoice; Aladdin has been selected for Monday Movie Madness on Feb. 1.

Campus Activities, which tries to put on at least one or two family-styled movies a quarter, chose the film because it is being specially re-released and they want to give students the chance to experience the film in a theater, according to Scott Drummond, the director of campus activities.

Drummond said that most Central students would not have seen Aladdin in a movie theater, but at home on VHS. This showing gives students the chance to have a theater experience with Aladdin.

“I love Aladdin,” Raegan Nelson, cell and molecular biology major, said. “I think it’s great that they’re showing what I think is a classic.”

According to Nelson, Aladdin was released from the Disney vault this last October.

“I’m excited. I love Aladdin; it’s one of my favorites,” Nelson said. “I’m really happy about it.”

Drummond said that Aladdin was also picked partially due to the loss of Robin Williams. Aladdin is one of Williams’ most iconic films.

“A lot of it was certainly scripted, but a lot of it was Robin Williams ad libing. There’s not much better than that,” Drummond said.

One memory about Monday Movie Madness  that stuck out to Drummond was during the time that Frozen was being played.

According to Drummond, there was a family of four waiting in line to see the film. A mother brought along her children, one of whom had dressed up as Elsa. When the girl’s mother decided she didn’t want to wait in the long line anymore, the girl started crying.

Fortunately for the the family, four students, who had also been in line, decided that they didn’t want to go see the film. So they gave the family their places in line, making the little girl’s day and making her mother happy.

“I’ve never seen Aladdin. [I] didn’t watch Disney movies while growing up,” said Nolan Sager, junior information technology and administrative management major.

According to Sager, re-releases are getting more popular because of people’s nostalgia.

“I hope that, if this truly is a re-release, there will be additional content that wouldn’t have been in the original release,” Sager said.

The thought of showing Space Jam as sort of a fun, Throwback Thursday movie had even come up at one point.

“We wanted to bring it up for kind of a Throwback Thursday thing or a late night movie,” Drummond said, “But then it turned out that we can’t get it because they [Disney] pulled it, and it’s probably a 20-year-old movie.”