Indoor Ironman contest next month

Ryan Kinker, Staff Reporter

If you think you have the highest endurance of Central’s athletes, the Recreation Center has a challenge for you in the month of February.

The Recreation Center will be holding an Indoor Ironman competition, which involves running, swimming, and biking. Those who rise up to the challenge of the competition and are able to complete it, will receive a free t-shirt to show they are the real winners.

Participants have the entire month to swim two miles, run 28 miles and bike 115 miles. These numbers are similar to an ironman triathlon, which consists of swimming 2.4 miles, running 26.2 miles and biking 112 miles.

While the Indoor Ironman competition is comparative to a triathlon, Intramural Sports & Special Events Coordinator Jordan Stinglen changed the numbers to better accommodate students that will be completing the challenge exclusively at the Recreation Center.

“We kinda changed the numbers so that it would work with the number of laps you have,” Stinglen said. “All of our numbers that are in the rules are based on if you did it in the [Recreation] Center.”

Anyone participating does not have to complete the challenge in the Recreation Center, but the competition is easier indoors on the track and on exercise bikes.

“It’s easier to track if you know the [distance] inside,” Stinglen said.

When broken down to daily amounts, a participant would have to average one mile per day running, four miles per day biking, and 337.5 feet of swimming per day to complete the challenge. The swimming distance equates to four and one-half lengths at Central’s Aquatic Center’s 25-yard pool. Participants must self-report their progress at the end of each week.

Since it lasts for one month in Feb., the Indoor Ironman competition keeps people committed to their New Year’s resolution of going to the gym and exercising.

“It’s a month long, so it helps you stick with it,” Stinglen said. “It’s something to help push people…And to get competition. We send out weekly updates.”

In addition to receiving a t-shirt, the top-three finishers for both men and women will receive prizes. The top-finishers are determined by who completed the distances fastest in terms of time spent exercising, not number of days necessary.

Registration for the Indoor Ironman competition is open until Jan. 29, with an entrance fee of $15. Students, faculty, and staff are allowed to enter.

While the competition is meant to be fun, it can help people find a challenge at the Recreation Center.

“If they want to challenge themselves,” Stinglen said. “It’s not the easiest thing to do.”