Majors fair returns to help students find their path

Nathan Brewster, Staff Reporter

Picking a major is a scary proposition for any college student. However, Central will be trying to help students with this problem as they host their annual Majors Fair on Jan. 26.

There will be over 50 departments attending the event to help Central students find a major that fits them.

Students will have many opportunities to explore different majors and talk to department heads and professors who will be able to answer questions about their particular department.

This event will be sponsored by career services and academic advising, who are attempting to make the fair more fun and accessible for all students.

Kristina Paquette, event coordinator and Career Services’ secretary supervisor, emphasized that this event is meant for all Central students.

“It’s open to all students, not just undecided,” Paquette said. “You can see about your minor and there will be deans and chairs of the departments there as well.”

Vicki Sannuto, director of Career Services, said that the majors fair is both a good and important tool for students to utilize.

“It is the only time of the year where all, if not most, of the departments come together,” Sannuto said. “Our goal is to have as many undeclared students and to get as many students possible there.”

Paquette also mentioned that there were many great incentives for going to this year’s Central majors fair for students because of the academic information students could gather by coming.

“We want people to reach [out] to this hard to reach faculty,” Paquette said. “You can win t-shirts and gear as well.”

The goal for this year’s fair revolves around the idea of presenting the most information they can for Central students so that they can graduate on time without spending more money.

“We try and sell on the part that the longer you are in college, the more money you are going to spend,” Paquette said.

While money is a major obstacle for most students, Career Services and Academic Advising encourage the event, to highlight the multiple ways the university is trying to keep students on track.

“We are trying to help with your future,” Paquette said.

Scott Carlton, director of student achievement outreach at Central, commented that it did not hurt students to attend the majors fair and they could only learn more about their situation.

“It doesn’t hurt them to go,” Carlton said. “It is a great one way stop shop. There is no pressure to decide a major.”

Carlton went on to talk about what he felt students would benefit the most from attending.

“It’s important for students to attend to understand the requirements for those departments,” Carlton said. “It is a great connection piece.”

Even though this isn’t the first time Central has held a majors fair, there will be new departments at the event that have never been there before.

“There is some additional departments coming that haven’t before like library and information science, craft brewing and even the central alumni association,” Paquette said.

Although the Central majors fair will be a big part of the week, Paquette said there is a workshop on Jan. 25 designed to help students explore their majors considering their personality types.

Advising and Career Services staff members will be holding the fair, so students planning to go to the majors fair have a better understanding of what they will be looking for at the event.

In the workshop there will be events that feature taking a personality test to see what major best fits you, talking about careers in general and much more. The first five students will also receive a t-shirt for free as an added incentive.

The workshop will be held the day before the majors fair on Jan. 25 in SURC 135 from 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.