Defense keys Wildcats’ quick start

Forward Alexis Berrysmith goes to work down low

John Whittlesey/Observer

Jake Nelson, Staff Reporter

Central’s women’s basketball team has hit the ground running this season with a record of 5-1 overall, after winning their first GNAC game Tuesday, 78-72.

Head coach Jeff Harada knew that there was going to be nothing more important for his team than to get off to a good start this season.

“It is really important for our confidence, being that we are somewhat of a young team,” Harada said. “Anytime you can win some games early, it helps with your confidence. The kids believing and buying into the program and buying into what they are being taught.”

Harada is in for the long haul, but likes how things are looking so far.

“We still have a ways to go and we are not where we need to be yet, but through the first five games I am pretty pleased,” Harada said.

As GNAC play begins this week, Central travels to take on Montana State University Billings on Thursday.  Harada believes that a key to that game will be getting off to a fast start.

“A quick start on offense, and we need to execute well early on,” Harada said. “Defending and controlling the tempo of the game and the pace of the game with our defense and making them take tough shots.”

Central has been led by sophomore guard Jasmin Edwards and senior forward Jasmine Parker.

Edwards is averaging 11.3 points per game. Parker is averaging 11.5 points per game and 8.5 rebounds per game.

Harada gave credit to Parker for asserting herself in the offense and recognized her accountability.

“I like her aggressiveness and she is starting to really want the ball more on offense,” Harada said. “She is doing everything that we ask of her and we are definitely going to count on her to step up and bring what she can bring every night. If she does that, we are going to have a chance to win a lot of games.”

Parker believes that the key to every game is defense.

“We are playing good defense which creates good offense,” Parker said. “We are executing offensively and just hitting shots.”

Parker and the team’s hard work in the preseason are really paying off.

“We worked really hard in the preseason so that has led us to where we are today,” Parker said. “All that hard work is paying off which is nice to see.”

For Harada, he believes that the unsung hero for his team is senior forward Alexis Berrysmith. Berrysmith is averaging 9.1 points and 6.3 rebounds a game.

“She is kind of the X factor in every game that we play,” Harada said. “As a [starter], she is going to defend the post and we are going to ask her to go to work and neutralize the tough post players.”

Berrysmith feels the vibe around the team couldn’t get any better than it is right now.

“Everybody is pretty positive and we are excited,” Berrysmith said. “We are ready to see what we can do this season. We are ready for GNAC play.”