Central Transit hits road block, WSDOT grant funding in doubt

Julia Moreno, Assistant Editor

Faced with the possible loss of Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) funded grants, the Central Transit bus system is exploring other, more stable funding options, according to Ellensburg city officials.

“The grant is competitive, we’re in the mix of trying to build a case that Central Public Transit is valuable enough to the community,” said Ellensburg City Councilman Bruce Tabb.

Tabb said that there is a chance the city would continue to receive state funds, but “there’s always a risk they can be cut or not funded.”

According to Tabb, the council formed a public transit advisory commission in response to the threat of losing state funding.

The council sent out a survey asking residents of Ellensburg their thoughts on the public transit system. Students were also sent the same survey via email two weeks ago.

Additionally, Tabb said the committee will ask local voters to implement a two-tenths of one percent increase in the local sales tax to help pay for the transit system. He said it would generate more than enough money to operate the system.

Tabb said the City of Ellensburg has no interest in running the bus system, nor is it in the position to do so. Central Transit is currently operated by HopeSource through a contract with the city.

“But, if we’re successful in making the case for public transit to the voters and voters approve the ballot measure, the city will be the primary source of funds for public transit in the city,” Tabb said.

Tabb said the idea is to get to a point where the city is not as dependent on grant funds, and could eventually leverage the Central student contribution with local funding.

Full time students from Central contribute $3 per quarter to Central Transit out of their student fees. The total amount of money from Central given to the public transit fund is $75,000, according to ASCWU President Ryan Anderson.

“But that number will rise as enrollment and the amount of students that attend Central rises,” Anderson said.

The money provided by the WSDOT funds is $199,000 and the City of Ellensburg contributes about $50,000.

“WSDOT grants are never guaranteed and there could be a year where PTAC [Public Transit Advisory Committee], on which I have a seat, will not receive any money,” Anderson said.

In the 2014-15 year, the ridership count was 65,800, an increase over the previous year when the ridership count was only 39,900. Central students are estimated to account for 80 percent of that number.

“I think it’s imperative to not only have transportation for students, but also have a community public transit system,” Anderson added. “Many students utilize the buses and without that resource students would have a very hard time getting to class, getting groceries and other necessary transportation.”