Wildcats swamp Gators

Central’s women’s basketball team defeats San Francisco State University, 59-39.

Zac Hereth, Sports Editor

Central’s women overcame a sloppy first quarter to win their season-opener against San Francisco State Universtiy (SFSU), 59-39.

The Wildcats held SFSU to 10 field goals on 63 attempts, including not allowing the Gators first field goal until 2:30 was remaining in the first quarter.

“We knew they could shoot the ball a little, but we also knew they wanted to get to the basket more, so we kinda sagged-off,” head coach Jeff Harada said. “We kind of baited them into taking jump shots. We didn’t want them to use their speed to get to the rim as much…if there gonna beat us, they’re gonna do it shooting jump shots.”

Senior Alexis Berrysmith anchored the Wildcat front-line alongside senior Jasmine Parker.

Berrysmith had nine points, eight rebounds and four blocks, which was complemented by six points, 13 rebounds and two blocks from Parker.

“I expect big things, they’re still learning to play together as two posts in the game,” Harada said. “As a post-tandem they’re one of the toughest two-post [combinations] in our conference.”

The Wildcats had trouble breaking SFSU’s press early, turning the ball over seven times in the first quarter.

“I thought we panicked, we froze up, we allowed them to dictate our movements instead of doing what we did all week in practice, we worked on our press break,” Harada said. “It’s hard to simulate speed, and San Francisco State has a lot of speed.”

SFSU played a physical brand of basketball that Central had to counter after the first quarter.

“I think we just had to match the physicality…come out strong, intense and play physical right back with them,” Berrysmith said.

After SFSU took an early lead in the second quarter, Central’s bench, lead by newcomers junior Kortney Grattic and freshmen McKenzie Day and Sadie Mensig, scored ten-straight-points off the bench to spark the Wildcats second-quarter push.

Central’s bench outscored SFSU’s bench, 24-8.

“It was huge for us and huge for their confidence,” Harada said. “It definitely jump started us, I thought the first group came out a little flat.”

That spark ignited the offense, carrying Central into the half with a 31-20 lead.

Central pulled away in the third after sophomore Rachel Lorenston canned two three-pointers, and senior Melanie Valdez dropped a beautiful assists to freshman JonNae Richardson on a fast break, resulting in a three-point-play.

Central’s staring guards, Valdez and sophomore Jasmin Edwards, combined for 13 assists compared to just six turnovers.

“We pushed the ball, we saw the floor, we shared it well and made good decisions,” Harada said.

All 12 players for Central scored.

The 39-points-allowed was the third lowest in Harada’s short-tenure at Central

“Defensively anytime you hold a team under 40, you have a good chance to win,” Harada said.

This is the first-step for a Wildcat team that is looking for its first winning season since 2007.

“We’re happy, but we just have to come prepared tomorrow and focus up and be ready for our second game,” Berrysmith said.

Central takes on Hawaii Pacific University tomorrow at 3 p.m. at home.