Veterans lead Wildcat attack

Central returns three starters, picked to finish fourth in GNAC

Jake Nelson, Staff Reporter

The Central women’s basketball team looks to have a breakout season and return to the GNAC tournament once again.

In the 2014-15 season, Central had a record of 12-15 and was able to advance to the GNAC tournament, but lost their first game against Western Washington University and was eliminated.

In his second year at the helm, head coach Jeff Harada expects his team to improve everyday and be better.

“We snuck into the tournament last year as the sixth seed,” Harada said. “We were fortunate to get in and I think we learned a lot, and I hope the players have learned my style, and what I expect, and what is expected from me. My expectation is to finish better than we did last year.”

Every game in the GNAC is a battle, and Harada never looks at any team lightly. With his first season at Central under his belt, Harada feels more comfortable and prepared for this season.

Harada said it helps to be more familiar with the team’s conference opponents and that he learned how competitive the GNAC is from top to bottom.

“We are excited, and it is critical to prepare our team every night for every game,” Harada said. “That is the beauty of our conference…it is so competitive. Really knowing the coaches, the players, the league overall; I know what to expect.”

Harada expects his two leaders and team captains, senior forward Jasmine Parker and sophomore point guard Jasmin Edwards, to lead the team. Parker and Edwards were selected to the GNAC Preseason All-Conference team.

“Of course I expect them to be good,” Harada said. “I think they expect that from themselves and we are going to need them to be good for us to have a better year. So far they both have been working really hard and you can see the growth.”

Harada not only expects Parker and Edwards to have big seasons, but also looks to the senior class to have a big year in their final year on the court.

“I expect them all to be excited to play their final year of collegiate basketball,” Harada said.

Parker looks to make her final season one to remember.

“I am super excited,” Parker said. “We did so well last year, and I look forward to what we can do this year. We have a lot of talent on the team and a great coaching staff.”

According to Parker, the defense is the key for this year’s team to get back to the GNAC tournament.

She said the team will need keep their opponents off the glass and try and hold teams to less than 60 points.

After earning GNAC Freshman of the Year for her 2014-15 season, sophomore Jasmin Edwards looks to pick up right where she left off last season.

“I want to improve every year and that is the goal as an individual and as a team,” Edwards said. “I think with the team this year we are all going to play really well together.”

Edwards has started her career with some impressive accolades, but for her it is about the team.

“It was an honor [because of] all the hard work and dedication, but it really was all because of my team,” Edwards said. “They put me in a really good position as a point guard and we all played well together.”