Central hosts ‘Pack the Pav’

Nicholson Pavilions indoor facilities are used by 13 different varsity teams.

Courtesy of Flickr

Zac Hereth, Sports Editor

Central’s basketball teams will be having their own version of a traditional college basketball Midnight Madness event when they host Pack the Pav on Thursday, Oct. 22 at 6 p.m.

The main feature of the event will be a white versus black scrimmage game. The teams will be made up of Central’s men’s and women’s basketball players divided into two teams.

Assistant Athletic Director for External Affairs Tyler Unsicker said the event will give students a chance to get to know their student-athletes and vice versa.

“We wanna just get people a little excited about basketball season,” Unsicker said.

The free event begins with a bump competition open to all students in attendance. When narrowed down to about 10 students, the event will stop and be continued at halftime of the scrimmage. The winner will take home a new TV.

The game starts at 7 p.m., and will be kicked off with NBA-style player introductions. The introductions will be done with the lights out and spotlights shining on the court.

Unsicker said that it will give players a chance to let loose and show their personality more than they can during the season.

The teams will play five-minute quarters, starting with the men. After the first quarter, the women will play, followed by the halftime bump finals and then the men will play the third.

Following the first quarter will be a 45-second three-point competition consisting of one man and woman from the white and black teams. Two random fans will be chosen from the stands and placed on the black or white squad to compete alongside the players.

Each three-pointer made will add a point on for each competitor’s respective team.

The third quarter will be followed by a four corners competition, with the winner being able to add bonus points to a team.

The game will conclude with the women playing the fourth quarter, followed by a pizza and drinks with coaches and players.