Ellensburg’s newest hootenanny

Brittany Allen

Blue Rock features a faithful “southern” style and charm.

Elliott Llera, Online Editor

What happens when you combine the dancing of 301, the country western theme of Frontier, and a kitchen that stays open later than The Tav’s? Blue Rock Saloon.

The newest addition to Ellensburg’s nightlife opened just in time for Rodeo Weekend, and Bar Manager James McCurdy said the cowboy crowd loved it.

“It was wall to wall in here,” McCurdy said.

Blue Rock Saloon features a full southern inspired menu that includes dishes like baby back ribs, country fried steak, top sirloin, and fried pickles.

“The menu will be expanding later on, we’ll be adding some new stuff,” said Kitchen Manager Cody Jackson.

The drink menu–just like the food menu–is still subject to new additions.

“Since we just opened, we don’t want to overwhelm our bartenders with anything too complicated.” McCurdy said.

Regardless, the drink menu currently features several specialty cocktails and even something called “Red Neck Moonshine Sangria” on tap.

“We’re also trying to be northwest focused and supportive of the craft beer industry,” McCurdy said. “We’re always going to have something from Iron Horse Brewery on tap.”

McCurdy said that Blue Rock Saloon currently had Eastern Washington’s last keg of Iron Horses’ Disrupter; a summer release that most Central students miss while they’re away on break.

In addition to the food and drink, Blue Rock Saloon will also feature free pool, a shuffleboard, a 17 foot widescreen showing Seahawks games and other sporting events, a VIP section, and a DJ for live music on the weekends.

“We also have line dancing on Wednesday nights from 8 to 10 p.m.,” McCurdy said.

Blue Rock Saloon is owned by local restaurant entrepreneur Jim Rowe; also the owner of Wing Central, Roadhouse Grill, Brooklyn’s Pizzeria, and Creekside West Bar and Grille.

Even though the saloon is tailored to the country western crowd, McCurdy ensures that Blue Rock will provide a fun environment for everyone.

“This is for Ellensburg,” McCurdy said. “The students are a part of that, but this is meant for all of Ellensburg.”