Provost of four years resigns

Last day Nov. 1; plans some ‘life assessment’

Provost Levine often lays out tea and shortbread cookies for guests in her office in Barge Hall.

Brittany Allen

In an announcement that stirred the Central community, Marilyn Levine, provost and vice president for Academic and Student Life of four years, is resigning effective Nov. 1. Her declaration was made public in a letter sent to Central faculty and staff early Monday, Sept. 21.

“I am writing this letter to share some important news with you,” Levine wrote. “You all know that every day I feel honored and proud to work with such talented and accomplished faculty and staff. But I need to go forward with the next step in my career.”

Her initial letter did not reference why she is resigning, nor what she plans to do after leaving. She maintains there is no bad blood between her and other faculty, and praised Central President James Gaudino multiple times, who she believes is “one of the most visionary presidents in the United States.”

According Linda Schactler, executive director of Public Affairs, the Central Board of Trustees had a teleconference on Sept. 18 to discuss enrollment data, updates to Central Dining Services and an overview of the Central Foundation Retreat. During this meeting, they held an executive session–a private meeting in which all discussion is private and does not have to be shared publicly.

Schactler said the Board discussed “a matter of personnel” which is legal under the Washington State Open Public Meetings Act, RCW 42.30. The Sept. 18 meeting was scheduled in July, but it took place the Friday before Levine sent in her resignation, and it is unclear whether or not her employment was discussed in any capacity during this session.

The timing of Levine’s resignation is further suspect when considering her role in the university. A provost is typically second in command, right under the president, with duties that include budget management, long-term planning and other high-end university duties.

Both Levine and Gaudino agreed that, in order to find a worthy replacement, it would take up to a year.

“Yes, I understand there’s some frustrating aspects,” Levine said. “I will be here in a different guise. I will be here to shepherd things. There will be an interim provost. This is the key timing when you recruit your candidates.”

Typically, an executive administration resignation is announced a full year in advance to give the administration time to find a replacement and  wrap-up any unfinished business. In Provost Levine’s case, 40-days notice was given.

In an email sent to Central faculty and staff, Gaudino announced Central’s plan to find a replacement. They will tap the resources of The Registry – a company that specializes in placing interim leadership in management roles.

According to Gaudino, in the meantime, Associate Provost Anne Cubilie will take over day-to-day duties until a suitable replacement is found.

“A search for a new provost will begin as soon as possible,” Gaudino wrote.

Beloved staff

Minutes after Levine announced her resignation early on Monday, Sept. 21, hundreds of emails poured in wishing her well and expressing regret in seeing her leave. Levine said she had spent hours responding to each email personally.

“Everybody’s kind of surprised and like you, because of the timing,” Levine said.

One such faculty member who will miss Provost Levine is Katharine Whitcomb, an English professor who worked closely with Levine as a faculty senate chair on the Faculty Senate Executive Committee.

“I commend her ongoing commitment to shared governance and willingness to open lines of communication with her faculty,” Whitcomb wrote in an email to The Observer. “Her establishment of the new Academic Student Life Council, which includes members of the faculty, is a legacy”

Levine praised the Central faculty and staff multiple times. In her opinion, they and the students–not the money being brought in–are what makes Central special.

“The faculty here are just great,” Levine said. “In fact, I’m coming out with a manifesto. I’m getting a little tired of everything being placed on the money angle. I think we need to talk about the teacher, scholar model that is specific to the university.”

She went on to talk about the students at Central, and how proud of them she is.

“I’m just tired of people treating them like they’re kids, which I dislike that title greatly because these people are adults,” Levine said. “They’re loving, they’re doing all kinds of things and they’re learning and becoming responsible citizens. I never use the word ‘kids,’ I just think that we need to give students more voice.”

Levine is known in the Central community for her eccentricity when it comes to student admiration.

Last Spring, when 88.1 The ‘Burg won Best College Radio Station of the Year from the Intercollegiate Broadcasting System in New York City, Levine went on the air with the student staff and sang a song she made for the occasion.

“Real sensation, radio station, best in the nation, radio station!”

What’s next?

While nothing is set in stone, Levine said she had a few plans in the hopper for the next step in her career path.

She mentioned either becoming faculty–possibly in the Department of History at Central–or finishing her third book with the working title of “Remembering Revolutionaries: Chinese Voices from the 20th Century,” which she had been researching for the past 30 years.

Levine is fluent in both Chinese and French. She lived in China and Europe, where she and researchers from Tsing Hua University in Beijing conducted interviews with then 80 to 90-year-old ex-Chinese revolutionaries in the ‘80s and ‘90s.

In addition to working as a university administrator at both Central and Eastern Oregon University, Levine has taught history across the world. She didn’t rule out any possibilities on what the future has in store.

I’m doing some life assessment and thinking of some other opportunities and exploring those,” Levine said. “I’m being vague because I’m not sure. We’ll see what happens.”