Country bar and dance club coming to E’Burg

April Radke, Staff Writer

Dust off those old cowboy boots and grab a partner because this summer, country dancing will be back in town. The Blue Rock Saloon, owned by local restaurant entrepreneur Jim Rowe, will specialize in country music and dancing, along with a rich, Southern-inspired menu.

The expansion of a dining empire

Rowe is already the owner of several local restaurants, including Wing Central, Brooklyn’s Pizzeria, Creekside West Bar and Grille, and the Roadhouse Grill. According to the Daily Record, his new dining endeavor has no set opening date, but is due to open before the summer is out.

The Blue Rock Saloon’s Facebook page has proposed several tentative menu options to be available. These include loaded potatoes with barbequed pulled pork, fried green tomato with pimento cheese and smoked pork belly, potato chip-crusted chicken tenders, bacon-wrapped and cheese-filled hot dogs, cornmeal-crusted catfish po’boys, and chicken and waffle appetizers.

There will also be a solid wood dance floor and several big screen television sets for country music videos and Seahawks games.

Rowe has stated that the Blue Rock Saloon is for everyone, locals and newcomers alike, and this is partially reflected in the establishment’s name.

On the Saloon’s Facebook page, the name was said to be primarily derived from the rare stone found in this area, referring to blue agate.

“Plus we liked the idea of blues, rock and country,” the post adds.

A new option for students, as well

Sui Ioane, a junior business major, believes the Saloon will be a fun place and a great addition to the Ellensburg community.

“It’ll be a great time for students on the weekend, instead of going all the way to Seattle,” Ioane said.

There has not been a place to dance in town for a while, and most students have never seen a similar establishment here. Ioane was certainly surprised, but enthusiastic about the prospects for students who have a little extra spending money for such excursions.

“A dance and a bar at the same time?” Ioane said. “If you have the money, go for it.”

Despite her initial surprise, Ioane soon embraced the concept, finding it a fun possibility for herself as well.

“I’ll order a few drinks and have a good time. Probably apply for a job,” Ioane said. “It sounds like a good place to relax.”

This type of venue offers a new concept for students and locals that has gone unseen for, perhaps, too long. However, the Blue Rock Saloon may also have too narrow a focus for some and could potentially dissuade those who are not fond of country music.

Ryan Critchlow, a junior computer science major, is one of the latter.

“It’ll probably fit the location, but I’m not too wild about country music,” Critchlow said.

Selena Hernandez, a sophomore film major, shared Critchlow’s sentiment, but agreed that the Saloon should do well here.

“I’m sure a lot of people would like it here, rather than on the West side,” Hernandez said.

Hernandez, like Ioane, was also a little taken aback at the combination.

“I think it would probably make more profit separating the bar and dance club,” Hernandez said.

Despite their hesitancy, Critchlow and Hernandez remained curious about the establishment and open to exploration.

“If I could drink, I’d probably go there,” Critchlow said.