Fashion Show Hits Runway With Great Success

June 3, 2015

It was the final product. Every student involved in the fashion show’s production put extensive time and effort into the show.

Fashion show runs smoothly and audience reacts positively

Andrea Eklund, director of the fashion show, said there was one small hiccup  during the 3 p.m. show. At the very beginning, the music went silent for a minute, but then started up again.

“The great thing about the models is they kept on walking,” Eklund said. “They knew not to stop [and] to just pretend that there was music, so it showed just how ready they were.”

Rachael Wescott, junior apparel, textiles and merchandising major, believed the show ran smoothly.

“Yes, it was very successful,” Wescott said. “All my models did great, nobody fell…it was really awesome.”

Wescott said the audience had a great reaction to her fashion line. They clapped loudly, a friend even texted Wescott and said she cried.

Wescott also won two awards for her fashion line: the judge’s choice award for best line and the judge’s best piece overall award for her simplistic white wedding dress.

“My favorite part was going out on stage and seeing all my friends congratulating me, and after the show, they were congratulating me on all the hard work paying off,” Wescott said.

Eklund was up in the booth, so she could really see the audience’s response to each of the garments.

“Yeah, I think it was very positive,” Eklund said. “You could hear them talking to each other and pointing, and I like that they‘re discussing what they’re seeing.”

Models worked the runway

Alex Lambert, senior apparel, textiles and merchandising major, said all the models for the show had practiced for 4 to 5 weeks, one hour per week.

All the models did a great job during the show, said Lambert, and she encourages all the models to audition again for next year’s production.

“It was really cool,” Lambert said. “They showed a lot of big improvement and that was great to see and really see how their confidence changed.”

Wescott was very pleased with the way her models showed off her garments. Wescott said it was much better than she could have imagined.

“Making the women that were my models feel beautiful like that was worth everything,” Wescott said.

Favorite part of the process

Lambert said being stage manager was one of her favorite parts. She enjoyed working with everyone and seeing them work together.

“I think kinda interacting with different peers in my class and also interacting with the ready-to-wear models, just because a lot of us formed relationships with one another and new friendship[s],” Lambert said. “Just working with a whole bunch of new people was great.”

Eklund said her favorite part was after the show, down in the audience, seeing how excited the students were.

“So all the students in fashion show production, they put in so many hours, and having them be so excited and talk about how great it was and the great experience they had and all the hard work they put into it was worth it,” Eklund said. “For me, it’s why I put in so many hours, to see their satisfaction  in putting on this great event.”