Wildcats football ready to pounce into action for second season under Shoemaker

June 3, 2015

After a seven win, four loss season in 2014, the Central football team looks to have an even better season coming under second-year head coach Ian Shoemaker. With key returners coming back on both sides of the ball, the expectations for 2015 couldn’t be higher.

“Any year when you start off, your expectations are high,” Shoemaker said. “First thing. win a GNAC Conference Championship, and then put ourselves in a position to be competitive nationally. That first game of the season will give us a great vision of who we are.”

Shoemaker couldn’t be happier with how the team’s spring ball went. Since all players know his style and strategies, they were able to start the spring off right where they left off in the fall and hit the ground running.

“From the coaching perspective, this spring was a lot better than last year,” Shoemaker said. “Last year, we came in with a new coaching staff and new systems; this time around, we were much more prepared and our players were much more prepared. We were much more crisp and ready to go compared to last spring.”

Incoming Freshman

Central was able to recruit one of the top receivers in the state, Kyler Ooley from Rogers High School in Puyallup, Wash.

The 5-foot-10, 170-pound Ooley provides the Wildcats not only more speed on the offensive side of the ball, but brings in great leadership as well, since he was a team captain his senior year at Rogers.

In 2014, Ooley was a 1st Team SPSL selection, as well as a member of The News Tribune All-Area football offensive team. Ooley led the SPSL in receiving with 58 catches, 959 yards and 12 touchdowns. Ooley is looking forward to continuing his football career in a Central uniform.

“I expect to compete at a very high level and prove to my brothers that I belong with them on the field,” Ooley said. “I expect to do whatever my coaches and teammates need me to do in order to better the program.”

Ooley attended the Central football camp when he was in high school, where he felt at home. Ooley said he was comfortable right away and knew he was making the right choice choosing Central.

“After my offer and visits, the guys on the team really seemed to welcome me and take me in,” Ooley said. “It made me feel like I am already apart of the brotherhood.”

Central kicks off the 2015 season in Pueblo, Colo. against Colorado State University. The kickoff is set for 5 p.m.

Players to watch on Offense in 2015

In 2014, The Central offense averaged 35.45 points per game, which is a huge jump from 2013, when the offense only averaged 24.1 points per game.

Junior Quarterback Jake Nelson: Nelson will lead the Central offense in 2015. Last season, he had a 59.23 completed pass percentage, as well as throwing for 2,702 yards and 23 touchdowns.

Junior Receiver Jesse Zalk: In 2014, Zalk averaged 10.3 yards per catch and caught seven touchdowns.

Senior Running Back Jordan Todd: In 2014, Todd averaged 3.9 yards per carry and ran for a total of 738 yards.

Players to watch on Defense in 2015

Senior defensive back Cedrique Chaney: Chaney recorded 50 tackles in 2014. He named to the All GNAC first team as a defensive back.

Senior defensive back Isaiah Davis: Davis had 5 interceptions last season. He was selected to the All GNAC first team as a defensive back.

Junior defensive lineman James Fakkema: Fakkema had 49 tackles and 10.5 tackles for a loss in 2014. He also had 7.5 sacks.

Redshirt sophomore linebacker Kevin Haynes: Haynes led the defense with 99 tackles in 2014 and was All GNAC first team defense last season.