Malissa Clark and Karina Villasenor (Derrick Clarit)
Malissa Clark and Karina Villasenor

Derrick Clarit

Spring Fashion Show set to hit the runway

May 20, 2015

A century ago in 1915, the first fashion class was taught at Central as part of the apparel, textiles and merchandising program. Today, the 100th Spring Fashion Show is just around the corner. It is the accumulation of all the hard work that the students, both inside and outside of the program, have been doing all quarter. The show will begin Saturday, May 30 at 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. at the Milo Smith Tower Theatre.

The theme for this year’s show is mode, with the three sub-themes being desert days, coastal vibes and urban jungle.

Hard work is put into the show

Andrea Eklund, director of the fashion show and professor in the apparel, textiles and merchandising program, said there are about 125 students from various majors involved in putting on the show.

“It’s a really big process, so it’s something I start reserving the space for in September. It’s something we are constantly working on and just trying to schedule everything. We are in charge of everything, so we really try to be a collaborative effort,” Eklund said. “We work with the theatre students, the computer students, the photography students, the PR students; it’s a great way for them to use their education in a real-life event.”

Alex Lambert, senior apparel, textiles and merchandising major, is the project manager and also helped put on last year’s show.

Lambert said people tend to underestimate how much time students put into the show. Not only do they spend class time working, they are also spending six to 10 hours a week working outside of class.

“Not only does it showcase what our program is all about, but it’s dedication and it’s hard work of all the students,” Lambert said. “It shows something that these students are passionate about.”

Malissa Clark (left)
Derrick Clarit
Malissa Clark (center)

Students working on the show

Rachael Wescott, junior double major in apparel, textiles and merchandising and business administration, is one of the student designers for the show in the fashion line development class. She is designing three pieces for the show, all of which are floor-length gowns, Wescott said.

According to Wescott, on average, starting with draping and patterning processes, it takes about 60 hours to finish a design.

“I want to be a bridal designer someday, so I’m inspired by wedding dresses and, specifically, the 1920s era. I just wanted to capture that flow and then pair it with modern-style lines and colors,” Wescott said. “My sister is getting married this summer, so I’m making her wedding dress.”

The class mainly responsible for putting on the fashion show is the fashion show production class, Eklund said. However, there are different committees responsible for different parts and aspects of the show.

The other class involved with the fashion show is the fashion line production class, which is the student designer class,  Eklund said. They are responsible for creating a minimum of three different pieces, from scratch, for the show. They are also in charge of finding their own models and  are responsible for their model’s hair, makeup, choreography, music and styling.

Why students should come see the show

According to Wescott, the fashion show is going to be very diverse. There will be many styles being showcased, created by different designers.

“I’m excited for my family, my friends to come and see all the hard work I’ve been doing and to finally celebrate that it’s over,” Wescott said. “I’m excited to start working on more dresses after that, with all the knowledge and experience I have gained from making all the dresses so far.”

This show exhibits the amazing talent and hard work the students of the program have been working on, Lambert said.

According to Lambert, it’s a wonderful experience and worth all the hard work.

Students can learn a lot about fashion and the upcoming trends that are hot for summer, Eklund said.

“It’s a cool event, and we really try to make it an experience. That’s something that’s really important, that you’re not just coming, sitting and watching. We want it to be a whole enveloping experience. We want to have them leaving wanting more,” Eklund said.