Opinion: Fees- a new fad that creates a convenient loophole around Washington State’s tuition freeze

May 6, 2015

Johnathan_Mugshot

Stop. Before you read this, check out the Observer’s coverage on the Student Arts Fund. Did you read it? Good; carry on.

“Do you support the arts? Sign here.” This deceiving phrase, spoken by Arts Fund supporters, dominated walkways and conversations the Friday before finals week last quarter. If you happened to have a class anywhere near campus that day, chances are you heard it, too.

Approximately 1,400 students signed the petition. I’ve seen the documents with my own eyes. I was skeptical of that number at first, but once I saw the three-inch-high stack of papers, my disbelief was crushed.

1,400 students. Wow. Since when did 1,400 students collectively care about anything around here?

I’m talking about the petition started late last quarter by those in charge of the Student Arts Fund: the latest and greatest controversy at Central. It’s rare to hear students talk about anything that isn’t drugs, alcohol or sex. Arts? Fees? People care?

In the past, not really. In fact, in 2013, voter turnout at Central was abysmal according to a story in the Observer.

We have roughly 10,000 students on the Ellensburg campus and, of that 10,000, only 600 to 800 typically vote. That’s about 6 to 8 percent of the campus population. If U.S. politics were that bad, we would probably hang up our hats as a country and call it a day.

But that’s just how Central is. If it’s not getting laid or drinking, it’s not worth the students’ time.

Whether we want to admit it or not, that’s how so many fees have snuck onto ballots. I’m sure many have looked at their receipt after paying the school thousands of dollars each quarter and thought, “Hmm, why am I paying $400 in fees?”

That’s because you, the student, allowed it. We vote each spring on fees imposed on all students at Central’s Ellensburg campus. (I make that distinction because, obviously, we wouldn’t charge students who take classes in Lynnwood, Wash.) That’s right; that $30 technology fee you pay each quarter was voted on by students.

And a $50 fee is on this year’s ballot, created by and mostly benefiting an academic college. And that’s a bad thing. You know that icky feeling you get when someone has taken advantage of you? That’s how you should feel right now.

According to The Seattle Times, tuition increases in Washington have all been suspended since 2013, and lawmakers are looking to keep the freeze-train rolling. To combat this, many colleges are looking at fees to supplement the income.

This should scare you. Essentially, since schools can’t get your money the ol’ fashioned way, they’re instead going to increase fees. “But wait a minute,” you might say. “Aren’t student fees started by students and for the students?”

Well, not really. As The Observer discovered, the arts fee was started by school administrators.

Scott Robinson, Theatre Department chair, sent Yosef Gamble, current Associated Students of CWU (ASCWU) Student Government President, a Facebook message in June of last year asking to meet about an idea he had for a fee. Gamble showed me the message in person, which was sent to him only one month after he had been voted into office.

What is apparent, though, is that the bill will certainly benefit departments in the College of Arts and Humanities. According to the arts fund proposal, roughly 85 percent of the $1.125 million generated annually from the fee would benefit the College of Arts and Humanities.

In the proposal, dance, film and video studies, art, music and theatre arts would be beneficiaries of a slew of new funding, including $200,000 allocated annually to a new “publicity center” of sorts, to bring in more publicity for their proposed “CWU Fine Arts Series,” of which would only receive roughly $169,000.

Despite the fact that we already have a publicity center paid for by Central’s Services and Activities (S&A) fees, in addition to Campus Activities, which brings in multiple artists from across the country, the “CWU Fine Arts Series” is being touted as the main reason students across campus should vote for this fee.

Now, I’m not against fees. I think they’re great for extracurricular activities.

Take the Student Health Center fee. It’s $88 a quarter that goes towards benefiting every single student, not just those who happen to major in those five departments. Any student can take advantage of the services offered by the center.

The problem is when academic departments start asking for every student at Central to start paying their bills. As it stands now, the proposed arts fee is the only fee that would directly benefit academic departments. Yikes.

It also sets a dangerous precedent and presents a slippery slope. What’s stopping the College of Business from asking for a fee next year? What about Psychology?

Sure, the art’s fee is claiming it benefits every student at Central, but only 15 percent would actually benefit. Why don’t we pay $7.50 a quarter instead, since that’s the return students are getting?

When you look on that receipt each quarter, you should feel comfortable knowing that every penny is going towards something that benefits you, no matter what major you are.

I, for one, am checking the “no” box. Are you? Whatever your answer, I hope you did your homework. Don’t just take my word for it. Read the proposal, formulate an opinion and vote.

If not, I guarantee that the 1,400 students who already signed their names are going to do it for you.

View Comments (8)

The Observer • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (8)

The Observer welcomes feedback and commentary on our stories. We moderate comments to ensure they are relevant and civil, but the content of each comment is the responsibility of its original author. We do not accept comments in languages other than English or which include personal attacks, unprotected speech, vulgarity, promotional material, or statements which are nonsensical or irrelevant to the article being commented upon. You may also consider submitting a letter to the editor or an opinion piece. Click on Contact Us for details.
All The Observer Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• J

Johnson and Johnson, a Family CompanyMay 7, 2015 at 2:34 pm

How dare you put scare quotes around the word department when discussing the arts.
    The heart of this issue is, and has always been, that other departments feel that art is a waste of time…having thoughts like this is a downright disgrace against humanity. You cannot argue against the necessity of art, of expression. To do so is to deny existence, or to be less philosophical, to deny entertainment and humanity within our own lives. Why would we live in a world with nothing to look forward to? With no fun?

Reply
    • A

aqualungMay 7, 2015 at 7:43 pm

I don’t think anyone is denying that arts are important, the concern seems to be that students don’t want to be strapped with another fee for services that they will most likely never use.
      No offense, but not many people on campus care about seeing Yo Yo Ma, even if he did come. The people that would are most likely already in the arts departments. Taxing everyone for program specific events that likely only 6-8% of the campus will likely utilize anyway is what people are concerned about.

Reply
  • A

Anna slingMay 7, 2015 at 1:44 pm

Remember people, we are on the country side. The majority of the school’s population is republican, science or business majors, and enjoys the outdoors. Yes, this is a broad overstatement, but the interest just isn’t there for art on campus for this student body. This is not an art school, and most defiantly not a liberal or left wing school. This is unfortunate because, well being surrounded by students with closed minds that demands non-socialist ideas is inevitable. I support the art fee because It will bring more art onto campus, bring more students to our school, put CWU on the map for arts, bring the community closer to the college, and may turn more people onto art. I do not use the gym or go to any sporting events, but I do know that a lot of people and I am a socialist, I support my student body as a WHOLE, not just my individual self. This idea of only self benefitting deconstructs community.

Reply
  • J

jonathangloverMay 7, 2015 at 9:32 am

Thank you everyone for commenting. Let’s remember to keep this civil and not make any attacks to character or commit ad hominem.

That being said, Kate, I agree with everything you’re saying about the CWU Fine Arts Series. I do think it’s a great idea to bring in these artists or speakers and have them interact with students. The problem is, the Arts Fund committee is asking for $50 a quarter to fund this, when only 15% of the $50 is going towards that program. Since this is the only program in the fund’s repertoire that would directly benefit every student, I’m not comfortable spending $50 on it. 15% is hardly enough of an already large fee to say “it benefits every student.”

Furthermore, in addition to that 15%, 20% of the $50 is going towards another publicity center. We already have one on campus and it’s avaialbe for all students and departments. In fact, students who make requests get half-off the cost since we all already pay S&A fees. In addition to that, Campus Activities, another S&A funded program, brings in artists and speakers from across the country. Some well know, some not. My point is, the five departments in this fee could contact Campus Activities about programs they would like to see for students and I’m fairly certain they would oblige, or at the very least, find ways to accommodate.

In addition to all of this, the five departments behind this fee and the students who claim to have started it (I have proof otherwise, though that’s almost neither here nor there) could have lobbied in Olympia during Student Lobby day – a trip specifically set up for only CWU students to lobby their legislatures for this exact reason. From what I understand, no students from the Art’s Fund committee attended Student Lobby Day, and nobody tried alternate routes other than a fee.

From what I understand, this is exactly a way around tuition freeze. It’s no secret every college in Washington is struggling in some way or another because of the tuition freeze, and departments are taking it into their own hands to circumvent this. A fee is not the answer though; fees should be for extracurricular “departments” that don’t receive any money from tuition, something every department in the Arts Fund program does.

I appreciate you taking the time to read the article and it makes me extremely happy to see people involved enough to comment and share their opinions.

Keep the comments coming, I look forward to any and all feedback!

Reply
  • K

Kate Switzer,May 7, 2015 at 8:48 am

A slippery slope…I feel it the business or psychologically buildings have a case and reason why we should have funds, they should propose it to students and we as a student body should be able to decide if it would be beneficial to students. The art fee will benefit the student body at large with the speaker series called Central Series for Speakers and Performance, speakers will come in give lectures and workshops allow personal connections and networking with those speakers or preformers. In the central series, students will be able to recommend people they would like to see or hear from, which could be from all area of study. All students wi also have access to theatre, music, dance performances, film festivals, and other things put on by the individual departments. The five departments will be able to bring in additional visiting artists and performers that are more geared to the curriculum, these speakers lectures and woekshops will be free as well to all students on campus.
    This fee isn’t to go around tuition freeze but allowing students to demand a higher sense of culture on campus.

Reply
  • C

Conor JonsonMay 6, 2015 at 11:55 pm

This article is so full of holes it’s unbelievable. Other than the fact that Jonathan Glover is employing several logical fallacies, scare tactics, as well as flip flopping, this article just does not take into account the positives of this fee. Get the facts straight!

Reply
    • E

Evan CatlinMay 7, 2015 at 12:27 am

Hey Conor,

Maybe back up your claims instead of vague pointless statements? It would help the debate here.

Reply
  • K

Kaitlyn AldersonMay 6, 2015 at 10:48 pm

A+

Reply
8