Meet Central’s Student Government candidates

May 5, 2015

Olivia Durham, vice president for Equity and Community Affairs

olivia

Durham is a sophomore special education major. She has experience working in the Office of Equity Community Affairs at Central, starting work there in Sept. 2014. It was her experience in this office that lead her to want to run for this position.

“Defying segregation and embracing individuality,” Durham said, is her platform. She also wants to provide opportunities for students’ voices to make a difference.

I want to encourage students to work together to better Central’s community and campus.

— Olivia Durham, sophomore special education major

Ryan Anderson, for President

ryanAnderson is a junior, but only in his second year at Central. He is double majoring in musical theater and political science, and he is also an Eagle Scout. Anderson is very involved on campus and helped facilitate the Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival last February. Anderson is the current president of the Douglas Honors College Student Association.

Anderson wants to push for more thorough composting and recycling at Central. He would also like to begin discussions for bringing bike lanes to campus.

I want to bring more engaged discussions about what students want on campus.

— Ryan Anderson, political science and musical theater major

Vic Savino, vice president for Legislative Affairs

vic

Savino is a sophomore aviation management major and currently works as a legislative organizer in the Office of Legislative Affairs. Savino is also the secretary of Central’s chapter of the Washington Student Association. From these positions, he has experience working hands-on with the current vice president of legislative affairs. He wants to push for students to register to vote.

I want to reach out to clubs and academic departments to get them more informed about college affordability and accessibility issues and how they can make a difference.

— Vic Savino, sophomore aviation management major

YazminYazmin Aguilar, vice president for Equity and Community Affairs

Aguilar  is a double major in Spanish and social services and plans on transferring to the University of Washington for her masters degree. Aguilar hopes to pursue a career in the global health field to ensure everyone who needs health care, gets the care they need.

Aguilar previously held the position of Vice President while attending Columbia College.

If elected, Aguilar plans to help students with internship and volunteer opportunities.

Some students feel they don’t have enough hands-on job experience when they graduate.

— Yazmin Aguilar, spanish and social services major

She also wants to continue the special events that happen around campus. Aguilar enjoys playing sports such as soccer when she has the chance.

Aguilar views voting as a critical student responsibility.

“Doesn’t matter who you vote for, just vote,” Aguilar said.

jose garciaJose Garcia, for President

Garcia loves to help people. He is planning on turning that passion into his life’s work by making prosthetics. Garcia is working towards a degree in mechanical engineering and hopes to get into Stanford’s graduate school.

If elected, Garcia said he has three tasks he wants to start working on immediately.

First, Garcia said he wants to promote career services and provide a “stronger base to help [students] out for future stronger resumes, better job opportunities.”

Garcia’s second project will be to meet with clubs and departments to see what they want to change. Lastly, he wants to promote education on cultural differences with the hope of making Central a closer community.

Garcia will continue following his interests, even if he doesn’t get elected as the student body president. Garcia loves to play the guitar and ping-pong. He also enjoys running.

I wouldn’t care about the position, as long as I help people.

— Jose Garcia

ninaNina Caldwell, vice president for Legislative Affairs

Caldwell is a law and justice major with a minor in ethnic studies. Caldwell plans to go to law school and become an attorney for the state and has aspirations of eventually going into politics.

Caldwell was a player on Central’s women’s basketball team. However, over the last two years, she felt like she needed a new challenge. This led her to run for office.

“You’re supposed to be the voice for students,” Caldwell said.

Caldwell has three major positions. First, she wants to make sure students are being heard and are  aware about important information relevant to them.

A vote for me is a vote for you and your voice to be heard.

— Nina Caldwell, law and justice major

Caldwell also wants to improve graduation rates by centralizing school resources.

Finally, Caldwell wants to improve the usage and resources of the health center. No matter how the election turns, she still plans on being a part of the student government.

“I want to get to know the ten thousand students and hear their stories,” Caldwell said.

Be sure to vote online: https://ballot.votebuilder.net/cwu