Students to get additional food options in SURC; food truck may be coming

Tera Stenhouse, Staff Reporter

Tired of the same meal options at the SURC? You may be pleased to know that dining is planning to add additional meal options, venues and possibly a food truck next year.

Administration decided it was time to improve student satisfaction with dining, so they created a student dining advisory committee with Student Government, Residence Hall Association (RHA), the Asian University America Program (AUAP), Services and Activities (S&A) and Residence Life.

Focus group meetings began on April 7, to get students’ feedback on the food, atmosphere and anything else related to the student dining experience.
Dining surveys were then compiled and sent out to students’ emails on April 23.

According to kitchen manager Jim Matheny, this survey gives Dining the opportunity to assess student approval.

“Any successful business will basically run an internal audit to assess where we are at, and even though this proves out that we have been successful, doesn’t mean that it doesn’t guarantee anything for the future,” Matheny said. “So we’re looking with that and seeing what things we can change to make it better, and it’s simply what this is.”

There were 758 total responses from students. 60 percent of respondents live on campus, with the remaining 40 percent living off campus.

According to Associate Vice President of Finance and Business Auxiliaries, Joel Klucking, multiple changes will take place, which will hopefully draw students to desire eating with dining services, regardless of whether or not they live on campus.

Responses from the survey said that North Village Café is the most desired place to eat on campus, with Wrap and Roll coming in second. Pan Asia and Holmes dining were recorded as the least desired places to eat on campus.

“There will be a handful of new venues and expanded options,” Klucking said. “We want to make it based on the feedback and some of the anticipated changes. We want to make people want to eat with dining services. So, if that means more people joining freedom plans, that is great.”

With a push for higher quality and organic foods, the meal plan prices aren’t expected to rise.

There will be a wider variety of options for students to choose from though, according to Director of Business Planning and Budget/Auxiliary Accounting, Patrick Stanton.

“I think the meal plan size and the requirement of having a meal plan, that will be at the same rate. And with that meal plan, you can choose choices, and it’s probable I think that you know you choose to eat more expensive things, it will cost more, but there should be varieties that are less expensive, too,” Stanton said.

One of the questions on the survey asked, “If we could add one of the below food offerings to the SURC food Market Place, what meals would you like?” The top three responses, in order, were all-day breakfast, organic foods, and an Asian-style grill.

To get inspiration for new dining atmospheres and food trucks, dining visited other universities, such as Gonzaga University and Eastern Washington University. Dining also has plans to visit University of Washington and Seattle University in the near future.

The survey asked students what meal options they would like the truck to offer. Savory-sweet crepes came in first place, followed by grilled cheese sandwiches.

“The goal of dining and of the university is always students having a good experience. That’s good for the students, and of course the university, because it helps recruiting and retention,” Stanton said.