Editor’s Note

Adam Wilson, Editor-In-Chief

As a newspaper, we are dedicated to keeping our readers in the know with all happenings on campus and in the community. The assault on Lareta Chrismer by Bryan Yancy was a very serious topic to discuss, and our staff worked tirelessly to ensure the most fair and balanced article was published.

In the last couple of weeks we have received significant feedback regarding our portrayal of autistic students and residents. In this case, it did not matter that Yancy is on the autism spectrum. We would have reported on Chrismer’s assault so long as the attacker was allowed to remain on campus (like Yancy was in this case).

However, given Yancy’s cognitive impairment, we felt it was important to raise the question regarding both the legal system’s and Central’s difficulty in balancing student and staff’s right to safety, and Yancy’s right to participate in society regardless of his cognitive impairment.

There are many more issues that need to be explored, and Observer reporters are currently working on them. We will have a complete follow up finished in early spring quarter.

Below the link to this article are some of the letters to the editor we have received in the lase two weeks. The remainder of the letters, including a response from Cynthia Loveland, Yancy’s mother, can be found online at cwuobserver.com