Goodbye opinion: My heart…it hurts

Chance Weeks-Williams, Sports Editor

When I took this job as the sports editor, I was scared beyond all belief. I was excited to hear that I was going be the editor, but I had no idea what to do once I sat down at my computer.

Thanks, Adam, who gave me a crash course in everything that had to do with newspapers. Not only did he tell me how to make my pages look the best, he gave me ideas that go unnoticed. Thank you again for helping with anything I asked.

Rachel Charlton, the assistant sports editor, (aka Ratch Daddy) could never say a mean thing about anyone. She made the process much easier with her happy-go-lucky attitude.

Spencer Hansen was the ultimate swig master. His ability to come up with impromptu designs and opinions were more clutch than Tom Brady in a snowstorm.

Both of them were always there to say, “Yo, Chance, don’t do that,” or they would catch my mistakes and would save my ass on numerous occasions.

The looks that Maria Harr would give me from six feet away every time I would say something ridiculous were priceless. She would always find a way to make whatever I was complaining or ranting about into a joke. It made me realize that I should treat life in a less serious way.

Camille Borodey, who was the scene editor fall quarter, shared my painful lack of knowledge of how to do anything. Any time I would feel like throwing my computer across the room, I knew that I wasn’t alone. Thank you for sharing in suffering with me for those four months.

Colt Sweetland would always help everyone with anything they needed. If you needed something done, Colt was the guy. I mean look at this guy.

Jonathan Glover went from being one of my sports reporters last quarter to assistant scene editor. He kept everyone laughing with his witty one liners when discussing anything–especially if things were getting tense.

Chace Davy, thank you for understanding everything sports related that I had to say. We were the minority when it came to sports super fandom. The debates we had were some of the most intellectual I have had.

And to the unsung heroes of the newsroom, the copy editors: Thank you! You have saved my ass countless times. Not only have you saved me from looking like an idiot, you educated me in the process.

What kept me going were all the great times that we had in the newsroom. All the crazy inside jokes we shared made the late nights way more tolerable. These two quarters flew by, outside of the Tuesday night drags.

It’s been real, Observer. I look forward to reading all about campus happenings from the outside looking in.

The next time I pick up the paper, all the memories of the newsroom and class will come flooding back to me. Thank you for educating me beyond just the standard classroom.