Basketball team loses in tourney during first appearance in 13 years

Jeffrey MacMillan, Staff Reporter

The 2014-15 Central Washington University Women’s basketball team had a memorable season including a return to the post season

It will be remembered as a turning point in the programs history; as the Wildcats returned to the GNAC tournament for the first time in 13 years.

Head Coach Jeff Harada, in his first season at Central, instilled a philosophy built on the foundation of competition. That philosophy turned into wins on the basketball court.

“It’s changing the losing culture here,” Harada said, “It’s about pushing your team to compete not just on the court, but at practice too.”

The Wildcats opened the 2014-2015 season with a new coach, a new attitude and a new style of basketball, but the memories of seasons past still cast a cloud over the program. Harada had to convince players who had experienced many seasons of losing at Central to believe in him and his philosophy.

“Just understanding and getting to know them was a big unknown,” Harada said. “I had to find out how hard they really wanted to work and if they wanted to win.”

Senior forward Courtney Johnson was excited about Harada’s vision for the team.

Johnson, who has been a member of the team for four years, was a leader and in many cases, the heart and soul of the team this season.

Harada knows Johnson is a special player.

“It’s hard to find someone who shoots the ball like Courtney,” Harada said. “She’s a player that does so much for this team offensively.”

Johnson led the Wildcats in points per game (13.4) and was the only member of the team to start every game this season.

Harada knows Johnson’s determination was a key to the Wildcat’s tournament berth.

On the defensive end of the court, one player made history this season: Jasmine Parker as junior center. She became the all-time leader in shot blocks for the Wildcats (154).

Harada knows Parker was important to the team’s defense and kept the team in a lot of games late in the season.

“Jasmine Parker is an outstanding shot blocker,” Harada said. “As the season went on she seemed to get better even when things were tough.”

Parker was a force for the Wildcats, she finished the season third in the conference in block shots (45) and forth in the conference in rebounds averaging 7.7 per game.

Parker attributes her defensive success to confidence in her team and ability to be in the right place at the right time.

The Wildcats also got a chance to see things to come as freshman guard, Jasmin Edwards, came on the scene and got the attention of everyone in the conference.

Edwards won GNAC freshman of the year. She led the conference in minutes per game (36.3).

Edwards also ranked fourth in the GNAC in assist (121) and third in assist to turn over ratio (1.7), showing that the ball is in good hands.

Edwards attributes her success to those around her and the help of more venture members of the team.

Harada put so much on his freshmen point guard and was impressed by the stride she took throughout the season.

“Jasmin Edwards, as the point guard, was putting in 40 minutes a game against some tough competition,” Harada said, “And she exceled with a positive assist-to-turnover ratio, and was always competing in those games.”

Parker was a force to be reckoned with, but she was not alone as other players contributed immensely to the team’s success.

Junior center, India Matheson, and junior forward, Alexis Berrysmith, combined with Parker to become a formidable group known as the “pretty post.”

The trio accounted for 80-percent of the teams shot blocks (62) and 39 percent of the teams rebounds (373) this season.

Harada knows that the stability was vital to the team’s success this season and will be a key to future success going forward.

“The girls up front lend us a lot of stability and players like Alexis and India really give us an ability to go out and recruit other positions for next season,” Harada said.