Central jazz groups double down

Brittany Allen, Staff Reporter

jazzBrittany Allen

Every quarter, Central’s jazz program – including instrumental and choral groups – provides an afternoon and evening of jazz to the general public.

Among the groups that perform at these events are three jazz big bands, a handful of jazz combos and two vocal jazz groups.

“Our jazz program is absolutely amazing,” said Lauren Causby, senior music education major and baritone saxophone player for Jazz Band 3.

In collegiate musical bands, there are three distinct variations, for students to have room to improve. Students new to the program may start in band three and progress to band one over the course of their college career.

Recently, two of Central’s jazz groups have gained national recognition. Jazz Band 1, under the direction of Chris Bruya, director of jazz activities, was selected to compete at the Next Generation Jazz Festival for a performance spot in the upcoming 58th annual Monterey Jazz Festival in September.

Jazz Band 1 will be one of six collegiate bands chosen nation-wide to compete in this event.

Vocal Jazz 1, under the direction of Vijay Singh, just attended the American Choral Directors Association (ACDA) conference after being selected from among many other schools to perform.

Both of these instances have been great honors for the groups and the music program as a whole.

Due to length, the schedule for the March 14 event will split the ensembles featured between two separate concerts.

The Afternoon of Jazz will feature Jazz Band 1 and Vocal Jazz 1 and the following Evening of Jazz will present Jazz Bands 2 and 3 and Vocal Jazz 2.

The consensus among members of the jazz program about what to expect from the March 14 concert is it will be “great.”

Drew Baddeley, music graduate teaching assistant and director of Jazz Band 3, said he believes the music Bruya and others have chosen for the event strikes a nice balance, challenging both audience and ensemble.

“It’s music that is challenging to the listener, but not off-putting in its presentation,” Baddeley said. “You’re going to get music that people will still be able to tap their foot to.”

It’s hard to not want to defend your stance.

“Color is something that we cannot prove,” Sean Leak, senior psychology major, said. “It is what we see, and so if we are challenged on that, we don’t see ourselves as wrong.”

Leak and his friends playfully bantered about what color the dress was, but not with any seriousness behind the words.

“My friends texted it to me, and asked ‘what color is this dress?’” Megan Winter, senior ITAM major said.

Winter and Leak believe that it is blue and black, but their friend Jazmyne Sturgeon, senior public health major, disagrees despite the science.

“I can see the science behind it, and that there is not enough information and your brain decided to fill in the blanks,” Sturgeon said.

Their trio jokes about the dress but does not take themselves too seriously. Other people they have seen have not been as lucky.

“The first time I saw it was people fighting in the lounge, in Quigly,” Leak said.

Even though many people are opinionated about the subject, one thing holds true, students think it’s stupid to fight over the dress.

“I will be happy once it is over,” Sturgeon said.