MyCWU going through another change

Martha Cardenas, Staff Reporter

MyCWU portal is about to become easier for students to navigate. A new student tab is going to appear, starting in late March, which will help with enrolling in classes, checking financial aid and more.

“I really like the new layout; it makes it a lot easier to use,” Hannah Sikorski, junior marketing major, said.

Mark De Guzman, Central’s Portal analyst, saw a way to improve upon the traditional dashboard.

“…[W]ithin our software, we used work centers which enables students to navigate without having to lose track of where they were,” De Guzman said. “Before, when they tried navigating to one page on MyCWU, it would take them to that page and then to get somewhere else.”

Previously, to properly navigate to different pages on MyCWU, students would have to click on the “home” tab and then navigate to the page which they wanted to go to.

“Now we’re making it to where you have all the links in one area,” De Guzman said. “On the left hand side, nothing changes there and on the right hand side is where the content you want is.”

The information services staff will help students with the changes by showing them how to navigate it. The staff is also tabling March 12, from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. in the SURC, to show students the new tab and let them test it out for the first time.

Information Services is also taking ideas from students on what they could possibly change on the page to make navigating easier.

The new system will be an option, not a finite change. Students can either stick to the old system or update to the new one.

“The old option was difficult. This one definitely makes it easier to find things and it’s very organized,” Erik Skamser, undeclared freshman, said.

Students also found specific advantages.

“It’s very easy to find classes now, easier than before,” Nae Muraoka, exchange student, said.