Central’s Climbing Club brings students together

Tyler Buchanan, Staff Reporter

SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA

Competitive rock climbing is one of the fastest growing sports in the country, involving strength, flexibility and endurance. It is even suggested that rock climbing will become an Olympic sport by the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo, Japan. This surprises many people at first, including club president Casey Cranston.

“I had no knowledge that there was a competitive nature to rock climbing until 4 years ago during my freshman year at CWU. I was spending way too much time in the gym and eventually was recruited by the club. I’ve been hooked ever since.” Cranston said.

CWU Climbing Club offers any students interested in rock climbing, whether brand new to climbing or seasoned climbers, training sessions twice a week at the CWU Student Union Recreation Center rock wall. Students have the opportunity to travel all over Washington, Oregon and Idaho to compete with other colleges.

The Climbing Club is broken into two sections, club and team. The climbing team includes the students who travel to compete at other schools, while the club climbs recreationally.

“Climbing Club is an awesome community that really brings people who love the sport, or even just want to try something new, together.” Cranston said.

There are three main categories in competitive climbing; lead, speed, and bouldering. Lead climbing involves pre-placed quick draws the climber must clip into throughout the climb. The climber starts at the bottom and has a time restriction.

Speed climbing is either competed as a team or individually, and simply rewards the individual or team that climbs the route the fastest with the win.

Bouldering requires competitors to climb short routes without the use of ropes or harnesses. The routes contain different problems the climber must overcome with emphasis on the number of problems the climber solves.

Central has produced several skillful climbers, including Club President Cassie Koefod, who placed 3rd in Women’s Open at the Rodeo Individual.  Another climber to keep an eye on is Casey Cranston, who recently placed second in Men’s Advance at the same event.

“The club is always going on adventures and getting into shenanigans together. Hopefully down the road the club will continue to grow and be able to pay for more team trips. It has always been a priority of the club to keep it inexpensive for students to join, but still be able to pay for events at the same time.” Cranston said

Cranston remembers the first time he tried rock climbing at the age of seven and has been hooked ever since. The first few weeks he spent at CWU he had no skin on his fingers from climbing every night with his friends.

Equipment is crucial, whether climbing indoors or out. This sport can be dangerous, but with the right equipment it is a lot of fun and great exercise.

According to Cranston, there are only two ways to fall and only one right way. If someone falls on their back while climbing then it shows they were actually trying. If someone just lets go and falls and lands on their feet, then they just gave up.

CWU Climbing Club is returning from a competition at the University of Idaho this past Monday. They have close to a month off to practice for their upcoming home competition on Monday, March 30. Following that competition the climbing club will only have two more competitions remaining for the season. One competition will be held April 13 at the University of Washington, the other on April 27 at Whitman College.

“We do it all for our friend we love and lost – Joe Bluroque – what goes up must come down.” Cranston said