New clock-in system gets mixed reviews from faculty, staff 

Bradly Smith, Staff Reporter

Earlier this month Central implemented a new clock-in system for faculty and staff. All the departments made the switch from the older, more traditional way of clocking in, to a new web-based system.

Employees of Central now clock in and out online. Some employees previously used a punch card to clock in and out when they came to and from work.

Other departments had a system where employees would manually write down and keep track of their hours for two weeks at a time.

These older systems were “becoming out of date, and Central is finally catching up with the technology by using this new system,” Grey Cavitt, administrative assistant for Central dining services, said.

Cavitt, who used to work for payroll, said that the older systems were much more time-consuming and there was always a huge struggle at the beginning of each quarter and pay period.

Cavitt said that they have now put new computers in the kitchen, where the employees can access the internet to clock in and out.

Though it might be a longer process in the beginning for students, the system update “will provide more exact work hours and also lighten the work load for supervisors on payroll,” Cavitt said.

Dining services is the leading employer on campus. Cavitt said that the more students that work for the department, the more issues there will be.

The SURC is the second largest employer on campus. Dania Cochran, assistant director for the Recreation Center, expressed some concerns with the new system but thinks that it will have more benefits than downsides in the end.

“Students forgetting to log out and having to clock in twice is an issue right now,” Cochran said.

However, Cochran explained that, like with any new system, there will be a few hiccups along the way.

Cochran thinks that it is more convenient for students to be able to clock in using their smart phones and the computer kiosks that have been installed in the SURC.

“It will be a huge benefit for the department secretaries,” Cochran said. “They no longer have to physically count up time sheets and track students down who made mistakes.”

This new system will also prepare students for the “real world.” They are gaining hands on experience and learning to become more responsible, according to Cochran.

“I’m sure that there will be new improvements and additions along the way,” Cochran said. “As of right now students schedules are not posted online, however we might see this in the future.”

The university has set up online tutorials for students to view.

It is too early to see whether or not it will truly be a better way for students to clock their hours.

“February 25 [pay day] will be the day that we find out how well it is working,” Cavitt said.