Central’s women’s basketball team looks to cage Falcons

Maxwell Monson, Staff Reporter

The Central Wildcat’s women’s basketball team (11-10 overall, 6-7 GNAC) are set to take on Seattle Pacific University (SPU) (17-3 overall, 9-3 GNAC) Thursday night at Nicholson Pavilion.

The Wildcats are coming off a tough road trip losing to Simon Fraser University (SFU) and in- state rival Western Washington University (WWU).

The two losses were a minor setback for the Wildcats playoff chances, but they are still right in the mix with five games remaining.

As the season gets close to playoff time the games become so much bigger.

Teams need to find a way to scratch out a few they shouldn’t and have to win all the games you should.

The Wildcats will start the home stretch by trying to pull the upset on second place SPU.

Senior guard, Courtney Johnson, knows how tough the last stretch of the season will be playing five conference games.

“I think top to bottom we have one of the most competitive leagues in the nation.” Johnson said “There are no easy wins.”

SPU has been on fire all year, having only three losses on the season.

The Falcons are currently riding a three game win streak as they get ready to come to Ellensburg.

SPU is exceptional all the way throughout the roster but the two senior guards, Suzanna Ohlsen and Aubree Callen, have led the charge.

Ohlsen is averaging 17.7 points per a game, good for third in the GNAC. Ohlsen has the ability to take over games with her offensive production. She has multiple games with more than 20 points.

She is able shoot the three ball will probably be able put up 20 plus points.

She is shooting 41-percent from the three point line this year. If Ohlsen isn’t on you can count on Callens to have a big night.

Callens is averaging an impressive 15.6 points per a game.

The Wildcats will need to keep both guards in check come Thursday night.

The Wildcats will be relying on their three normal stars to get it done as the season closes out and they prepare for the playoffs.

Senior guard Courtney Johnson, senior center Jasmine Parker, and freshman guard Jasmin Edwards have been the go to trio for the Wildcats this season.

Johnson has been big all year for the Wildcats whether it’s her scoring on the offense, stout defense, or overall leadership, she has done it all.

Johnson had a big night in the loss against WWU putting up 19 points.

Harada has been pleased with the play and leadership by Johnson as well as all the returners on this team.

“She has a chance to close out her career in a special way, like getting to the conference tournament for the first time,” Harada said. “All the returners are eager to see how far we can go, our seniors are really stepping up.”

With Johnson taking care of the guard duties, the Wildcats have come to rely on Parker to dominate down low, and she has done just that.

Parker has had a big year averaging 10.1 points per game and 7.7 rebounds per game.

The Wildcats need her rebounding and defensive presence by the rim to keep them in the playoff hunt.

Harada knows how important the play of Parker is to this Wildcat team.

“She has to be aggressive,” Harada said. “When she is in a good rhythm it helps her defensive efforts and her ability on the glass.”

Edwards will be another key piece for the Wildcats playoff chances. As the point guard, she is the controller of the Wildcat offense.

The freshman guard has been great at it all year, averaging 12.8 points per a game and dishing out 4.4 assists per a game.

Her ability to keep this Wildcat offense going will be crucial to their ability to make the playoffs.

The Wildcats are primed to take on the Montana State Billings Yellowjackets (MSU-B) Saturday night. This game presents another opportunity for the Wildcats to control their destiny in the GNAC race.

MSU-B is sitting in the eighth spot currently, but with seventh place Alaska Fairabank ineleigble for the post season.

MSU-B could possibly be the last team in the playoffs for the GNAC.

The Wildcats need to make sure to get a win against them to keep their playoff spot secure.