Wildcats’ men’s basketball team looks to extend winning streak

Jeffrey MacMillan, Staff Reporter

The Wildcat’s basketball team (12-4, GNAC 7-2) looks to make it five wins in a row, as they finish off the last leg of their three game road trip against the Crusaders of Northwest Nazarene (8-11, GNAC 6-3).

The Wildcats are on a rapid ascension of the GNAC as they have moved into a tie for second place in the conference. This was sparked by timely team defense and late game heroics from multiple players.

Junior Forward Joseph Stroud attributes the team’s defensive success to coaching and communication.

“Getting blocks is a big part of my game,” Stroud said. “And the guys around me make it so I can get them.”

Stroud’s defensive play over the four game winning streak has been key to the Wildcat’s climb up the GNAC rankings.

During the Wildcats win streak, Stroud has averaged four defensive rebounds and three blocked shots per game.

Stroud’s ability to guard the basket has not gone unnoticed by his teammates.

“Me and Dom can take chances on the ball,” sophomore guard Marc Rodgers said. “If me and Dom get beat, we know we got him [Stroud] behind us.”

Rodgers and his backcourt partner, red shirt senior Dom Williams, abilities to pressure the opposition’s guards on the perimeter have been a huge part of the Wildcats defensive surge over the last four contests.

They have generated 11 steals, many of which have helped to swing momentum at key points in recent games.

Williams’s defensive play has been strong when one talks of Williams they must be sure to talk about his ability to score and hit big shots when the Wildcats need them the most.

“I know we all can score,” Williams said. “Guys like Marc, Terry, and Roppo can all hit for us.”

Williams, who scored 77 points during the team’s winning streak and hit the game winning buzzer beater versus arch-rival Western Washington University is the driving force the Wildcats have relied on to complement their outstanding defensive play during the streak.

Williams knows he’s a primary scorer for the team and he’s happily accepted the role.

The Wildcat’s next opponent, the NNU Crusaders, are the only team to beat the Wildcats at Nicholson Pavilion this season. The Crusaders are also the last team to hold Central under 70 points this season.

Rodgers said he knows how important it is to start early when creating offense for his teammates.

“Getting the assist is just as good as getting a bucket for me,” Rodgers said. “Because you’re making two guys happy.”

The Crusaders presented a defensive problem for the Wildcats in the first meeting as the Cats shot 32 percent from the floor and were out rebounded 50-29 in a physical performance by the Crusaders front line.

Stroud said he needs to be better on the boards if the Wildcats are going to get the win.

“I know coach wants us to fight more for the boards,” Stroud said. “I know I need to work harder for them.”

Central will also have to find a way to contend with last week’s GNAC player of the week; Kevin Rima two sport athlete, and 6 foot 7 inch, 225 pound center.

Rima who presents issues in the paint has 13 career double-doubles for the Crusaders.

Rima averages 11.8 points per game and is pulling down 7.3 rebounds per game this season.

“It’s gonna be different this game,” Stroud said.

Rima scored a double-double in the first meeting against the Wildcats with 17 points and 11 rebounds. Rima will be a handful for the Wildcats, but Stroud is up for the challenge.