Wildcats mirror 2013 record

Jeffrey MacMillan, Staff Reporter

The Wildcats finished this season with seven wins and four losses, and a four and two record in GNAC play. Central’s defense influenced every game with their harassing style and constant team pressure.

Central’s secondary finished the season ranked fourth in the nation in pass interceptions (21), first in the nation in total interception return yards (485 yards) and tied for first in the nation in interceptions returned for touchdowns with five.

rsz_football1

Junior Isiah Davis, leader for Central’s secondary, finished the season in the top 30 players in the nation in interceptions with five. Davis also returned one for a 66-yard score versus Dixie State in St. George, Utah in a GNAC win for the wildcats.

Davis attributes his success to the work of his teammates on the defensive side of the ball and to the coaching staff.

“The guys around me are what make me successful,” Davis said. “Coach (Payam) Saadat’s game plan puts us where we need to be to make plays.”

In the middle of the Wildcats defense, the opportunities continued as sophomore Kevin Haynes did it all for the wildcats defense. Haynes is the nation’s leader in interceptions (five) for linebackers. Haynes led the Wildcats with 99 total tackles and had six games with 10 or more tackles.

“Kevin works hard to make sure he’s improving every week,” linebackers coach, Mike Dunlevy said. “Even when he’s banged up he’s still working hard to be ready for Saturday.”

Much of what Central does during games comes from their ability to create pressure in the opponents backfield. As the nation’s ninth ranked pass rush, the Wildcats have been able to put pressure on the opposing team’s quarterbacks; recording 35 sacks for a total loss of 212 yards from scrimmage.

Tovar Sanchez, who wears the prestigious number 44 jersey, has been the defense’s biggest weapon this season, recording 22.5 tackles for loss. This makes him tied for eighth in the nation, Sanchez’s backfield accolades don’t end there.

Sanchez has recorded 12 sacks this season ranking him eighth in the nation in this category as well.

“When I’m pressuring the quarterback, that lets the guys behind me make plays,” Sanchez said. “If I hit them enough something good is going to happen.”

Assistant coach John Picha said that Sanchez has made strides on the field.

“Tovar works on the field to be the best he can,” Picha said. “He’s only going to get better.”

On the offensive side of the ball, the Wildcats offense rank 41st in the nation, scoring at 35.5 points per game. The Wildcats, lead by sophomore quarterback Jake Nelson, implemented coach Shoemaker’s spread offense this season with good results. Nelson found himself second in the GNAC in total offensive yards. Nelson, a dual threat, showed off his arm, averaging 245.6 yards per game and rushing for 322 yards making him eleventh in the GNAC.

While Nelson’s running was a bonus, junior running back Jordan Todd’s was a necessity. Todd is Central’s running back, carrying the ball 191 times for 738 yards. Todd’s number of carries placed him third in the GNAC in rushes. That, combined with his 23 receptions and duties in the pass protection scheme, placed a large amount of responsibility on Todd’s shoulders.

The Wildcat’s receiving core stepped up this season as they demonstrated a knack for big plays, led by senior wide receiver Greg Logan’s 63 receptions and 917 yards, he led the team and placed fourth in the GNAC in both categories.

Benefiting from Logan’s work on the outside was sophomore wide receiver Jesse Zalk, who led the Wildcats in touchdown receptions with seven.

Another wide receiver who benefitted from Logan’s work was Kent McKinney Jr. who was the Wildcats big play receiver this season. McKinney made 39 receptions but averaged a team high of 16.2 yards per catch, including a long of 87 yards. His ability to pull the top off the coverage caused havoc for defensive secondary all season long.

The Wildcats said goodbye to seven senior players this season, including offensive Linemen Marshall Green and Calvin Hoohuli Jr.

Hoohuli Jr.’s hard work has been apparent to his coaches.

“Calvin might be the most productive guy on the line this season,” Picha said, “His work on and off the field has shown in his play all season long.”

According to Shoemaker, wide receiver Greg Logan has been the silent leader in the receiving core.

“Greg isn’t a ‘rah rah’ guy,” Shoemaker said. “He’s a guy who work’s hard and doesn’t need to tell people how good he is, he just proves it at practice and in the game.”

Ishmael Stinson, who came on late in the season managed to break into the GNAC top ten in rushing yards per game (42.2 yards per game) while only participating in eight games this season.

This season senior Cole Graves changed positions from defensive back to linebacker. Graves took any change as a team player and sacrificed for the betterment of the team, and his coaches took notice.

“Cole Graves is the kind of person you want in your locker room,” Shoemaker said. “He’s a leader on and off the field. When you think of the type of attitude, you want in your program, you could hope for players like Cole. He is a locker room leader, and his voice carries respect and weight that is unmeasurable and invaluable to this program and these players.”

The last senior leaving the ’Burg, JB Torsey.

On the field, Torsey was a leader for the team on the defensive side of the ball and was quickly voted captain.

“Sometimes [junior college] players are more headaches than you’d want,” Picha said. “But JB has been a leader on this team and has the respect of everyone in that locker room.”

The Wildcat’s loss of valuable leaders is clear, but moving into next season the Wildcat’s future looks bright as Central will hope to expand on the seven wins in Shoemaker’s first season.

With so many key players returning next year, the GNAC should get ready because it looks like Central is going to be coming back with more experience than they will lose.