Clash with the Clan

Jeffrey MacMillan, Staff Reporter

The Wildcat football team is coming off a blow-out win against Dixie State, 49-17. The Wildcats will now prepare for their final game of the season and a trip across the border to Burnaby, British Columbia.

Central will battle Simon Fraser in Swangard Stadium.

TRAPPED - Quarterback Jake Nelson struggles to break a tackle.
Alyssa Darby
TRAPPED – Quarterback Jake Nelson struggles to break a tackle.

This will be the second meeting between the Wildcats and Simon Fraser this season.

Under the guidance of first year head coach, Ian Shoemaker, the Wildcats are 4-2 in the GNAC and unbeaten in games where they face an opponent for the second time during the season.

“You can look at playing a team for a second time as a double edged sword,” Shoemaker said. “On one hand, you know what worked in the first meeting, but on the other side they have seen it as well and will be adjusting to that.”

Central’s success in their first meeting with Simon Fraser came from the play of the defensive special teams. The Wildcats recorded two blocks in the early portion of the game to set the tone for Central to make big plays all game long.

Tovar Sanchez is currently is third in the nation in tackles for loss and eighth in the nation in sacks. Sanchez has 34.5 tackles for loss.

Sanchez’s efforts have helped propel the Wildcat’s defensive unit into the 11th ranked national pass rush.

“His ability to make plays is important to what we do,” defensive coordinator Payam Saadat said. “But as a whole, the defense makes stops based on following their reads and being sound in their assignments.”

Isaiah Davis and the other defensive backs are benefiting from the mistakes that the pressure creates, resulting in big plays.

“It’s our defining characteristic,” Davis said. “Teams know they just can’t throw the ball up against us because we are so relentless after the ball.”

Central is currently ranked fourth in the nation in interceptions, first in interceptions returned for touchdowns and first in the nation in interception return yards.

Sophomore quarterback Jake Nelson is currently averaging 229.2 passing yards per game.

“Jake’s ability to run is a huge advantage to this team,” Shoemaker said. “As he improves, his ability to make reads then we can take even more advantage of his athletic ability.”

The Clan is hoping to avenge their 63-7 loss to the Wildcats at Pop Keeney during the battle for the border earlier this season.

Defensively, Simon Fraser is led by brothers Jordan and Justin Herdman. The duo looks to slow down the Wildcats running game and get physical with Central’s undersized receivers.

Jordan Herdman is currently second in the nation in tackles with 148 total tackles on the season, only two behind the nations lead.

“Herdman is getting to the ball and not missing a lot of tackles,” Shoemaker said.

On the offensive side of the ball, The Clan’s senior quarterback Ryan Stanford is the 33rd least effective quarterback in Division II football with a rating of 114.3 and is completing 56 percent of his passes this season.