Parade of Nations marches at Central

Cassidy Warness, Staff Reporter

With Central recognizing student organizations from seven different cultures, there is reason to celebrate the university’s diverse community.

This evening at 7 p.m. the Center for Diversity and Social Justice (CDSJ) will be hosting the ninth-annual Parade of Nations.

“The Parade of Nations is always just a great time, just showing the diversity of Central Washington University student population,” Michelle Cyrus, a CDSJ diversity officer said. “We work hard to create an inclusive campus. We want to make sure that people feel connected to the community. And I believe that the faculty has worked very hard to make this happen.”

The parade will be showcasing cultural dance and music from students, staff and faculty.

Different ethnic organizations on campus will perform, including the Asia University American Program and the Pacific Islander Culture Dance Club.

“[The Parade of Nations] allows our students to showcase their culture and what makes it so great,” Cyrus said. “That’s what students want to do.”

With this being the parade’s ninth year, the CDSJ staff are planning to incorporate new performances.

The event will include a light show and a runway walk where participants can showcase their culture’s clothing and dances.

According to Cyrus, some of the cultures being represented at the parade include Polynesian, Brazilian, Saudi and that of various European nations.

Cyrus said community members, Bollywood dancers and belly dancers will be participating in the parade.

“Every year has its own unique flavor,” Cyrus said.

Kayla Reynolds, junior public relations major, was inspired by the participation at last year’s event, and volunteered to work at the CDSJ office.

Reynolds will be emcee for the night along with fellow CDSJ volunteer Armando Ortiz.

“Last year, I just came to the event because it seemed interesting, but it ended up being one of the coolest events,” Reynolds said. “It was really cool seeing the different cultures and the meaning behind certain clothing and performances. It’s so important to get the aspect of other cultures.”

CDSJ encourages participants attending this event to wear traditional or modern clothing that represents their own culture, further celebrating all diversity on campus.

Cyrus and Reynolds said that in previous years students have dressed in outfits ranging from the participant’s favorite sports teams to wrapping themselves in their country’s flag.

“A lot of people think it’s just about ethnic background. I know someone last year that just dressed in Chicago Bear stuff because that’s his culture.”

The CDSJ staff has been preparing this event since early October to make the parade possible, according to Cyrus.

“We do a lot of work behind the scenes,” Patrick Molohon, resource management graduate student and CDSJ employee said. “It’s all student volunteers and people that want to be in it.”

According to Molohon, everyone in CDSJ has been working long hours to plan the parade.

“It’s all hands on deck for that event,” Molohon said “Everyone has a culture, everyone has a story,” Molohon said. “Even if you’re in the majority or the minority. We want to hear everyone’s perspective and worldview. We want everyone’s culture to be represented.”