Young aims to make a difference

Jonathan Glover, Staff Reporter

Ask freshman education major and defensive back Kevin Young Jr. what he enjoys most about playing football, and he’ll respond with quiet stare and a small chuckle. For him, it’s not about what he enjoys most, it’s about the entire experience.

In his first year playing football for Central, Young has participated in eight games out of nine, playing mostly in special teams and subbing in when necessary. As a defensive back, Young earned first-team all-South Puget Sound League honors on defense as a senior playing for the Gators of Decatur High School in Federal Way.

In addition to wrestling and playing basketball in high school, Young had a distinctive hobby that most kids his age would never attempt. At 17, he became the head coach of a Special Olympics soccer and basketball team.

Young volunteered at a program called Special Olympics Unified Sports, where he was able to play with special needs athletes in his high school as a means of inclusion and development. Young was asked to take the coaching role once he turned 18 and therefore couldn’t participate as a player

“One of my teachers got me into it,” Young said. “She said I had the right personality for it. When I was old enough she asked me if I wanted to take her spot.

Young Jr. also took over the socccer team

In Young’s first two years as head coach, his team won both state championships. Over this last summer, while practicing football at Central, Young took his basketball team to nationals in New Jersey, where they placed third overall.

“Kids at that age, they’re all in high school and it’s cool to have them look up to you, even though they’re the same age,” Young said. “I love being that role model for them. They’re just so passionate and have so much heart.”

Most of Young’s friends and colleagues might never have guessed that he has such a unique hobby. According to Young, it isn’t something he shares very often.

“[My friends] think it’s cool that I’m even doing it,” Young said. “It surprised them because they don’t think I would be into that sort of thing.”

Ian Shoemaker, football head coach, sees Young as a good kid who works hard, both on the practice field and in the weight room. While he seems a little quiet and shy at times, Shoemaker said Young’s work ethic is no different than the football players who might be a little more outgoing.

“I didn’t know for awhile, he kind of kept that to himself,” Shoemaker said. “I think a lot of our guys are involved in a lot of constructive things in the community here and back home. I think it’s a great thing, and a huge positive.”

Young said a lot of the decisions he made as a child were influenced by his father, Kevin Young Sr. As an accomplished football player in Germany and a Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) coach in Washington, Kevin Sr. left large footprints for Kevin Jr. to follow.

Up until he decided to quit wrestling his senior year of high school and pursue coaching Special Olympics, Kevin Jr. said he always assumed he would continue to wrestle his whole life. At one point, he even wanted to become an MMA fighter himself.

Adrienne Young, Kevin Jr.’s mother, preferred to allow her son to make the choices he wanted and supported him along the way. She agreed that Kevin has a shy nature but finds his quiet disposition advantageous.

“Kevin is a really calm kid,” Adrienne said. “He doesn’t really talk a lot or express his feelings a lot, but he has a really calm nature to him, so working with special needs children is not surprising for me.”

Adrienne’s only desire for Kevin Jr. as a child was that he play some sort of instrument, just like his grandmother. He ended up settling on the drums.

“He might look like he knows what he’s doing now, but when he was younger he was a total klutz. When he played drums, it helped him develop his hand-eye coordination,” Adrienne said.

Adrienne had the privilege of watching her son develop from an aspiring football player to a head coach. In high school, Kevin Jr.’s team was the worst in the league. Despite this, he stayed positive and kept fighting.

“He would get frustrated sometimes,” Adrienne said. “But he always said he had to be there for his team. He was just determined. He gets his talents from his mom.”

Kevin Jr.’s drive and ‘never give up’ attitude translated well to the teams he coached and had some unexpected influences on his life. For him, learning from the athletes can be more important than the lessons he teaches them.

“This girl I coached had cerebral palsy and she had two canes,” Kevin Jr. said. “One day, she decided that she was going to practice without her canes and left home without them. She kept falling. She fell like 30 times when we were practicing. She kept getting back up and I told her she didn’t need to practice today. She told me ‘I’m going to be a state champion one day.’ ”

Young said he plans to continue his coaching career after graduation and has even started looking for organizations around Ellensburg to participate in. Since his teams only practice in the summer time, coaching and playing football haven’t conflicted with his already hectic school schedule.

As for next year, Kevin Jr. intends on staying with the football team and continuing to work towards a starting position.

“He is getting playing time- not a designated starter right now-but [he] does rotate in a lot,” Shoemaker said. “He will definitely be in the conversation for competing for a starting spot next fall.”