No distance too far for Eggleston

Donnie Santos, Staff Reporter

Being a competitive distance runner at the collegiate level requires not only self motivation, but determination to be faster each day.

Central’s Dani Eggleston is becoming a familiar name throughout the GNAC in women’s cross country and track. She already has three top 5 finishes in races this fall. In a sport that most people view as an individual event, Eggleston gives most of her success to her team.

“My teammates have been the key to all the success I have had at CWU,” Eggleston said. “They are always pushing me and we never let each other settle.”

Eggleston grew up in Longview, WA, and attended R.A. Long High School. Eggleston did not start racing competitively until her sophomore year of high school. As a well-rounded athlete, she played multiple other sports including soccer, her first love and basketball.

Junior Dani Eggleston
Alyssa Darby
Junior Dani Eggleston

An unfortunate incident on the soccer field is one of the major factors that affected Eggleston committing to CWU. During her junior year, she tore her ACL.

“I was talking to a few different schools until I tore my ACL,” Eggleston said. “Coach Adkisson never stopped believing in me unlike most other coaches and that’s why I chose Central.”

Four months after an intense ACL repair surgery, Eggleston was not only back on her feet, but had returned to running.

Typically it takes an athlete closer to six months to be back running.

Distance running has such a big mental aspect. Strategic running is just as important as the physical portion.

She has a great deal of toughness,” Head coach Kevin Adkisson said.  “She is always ready to push herself through hard workouts and is going to give it all while leading by example. The whole team holds each other accountable for working hard and getting better.”

Eggleston is a product of routine, preparation and hard work. She believes that she has evolved into a much more efficient runner since her arrival at Central. Her previous years of collegiate running have given her even more confidence and wisdom during the course of a race.

“I used to burn out too early in my high school races,” Eggleston said. “I now know that I would rather start slow and end fast. I focus more on my running now instead of the opposing runners around me.”

THE HOME STRETCH - Junior Dani Eggleston accelerates toward the finish line in the annual Sundodger Invitational early in the season. Eggleston placed fifth in the race.
Corutesy of GaryPaulson.net
THE HOME STRETCH – Junior Dani Eggleston accelerates toward the finish line in the annual Sundodger Invitational early in the season. Eggleston placed fifth in the race.

When it comes to preparation, Eggleston said she’s been sticking to more routines this year. As a whole, the Wildcat distance runners have been pushing themselves which is leading to better times as a team.

“There is a combination of factors that make Dani successful,” Adkisson said. “She has done an incredible amount of work. It really shows how dedicated she is. She always wants to do everything it takes to better herself. It’s funny, because her first year we actually had to scale her workload back a little, but over the course of her career that has accumulated. Her fitness has taken her further than I could ever imagine.”

Individually, Eggleston has faster times this year than her freshman and sophomore year. She has improved by about two minutes in 4K, 5K and 6K meter events since her freshman year.

“Between track and cross country, I have to say cross country is definitely my favorite.” Eggleston said. “In track you run where everyone can see you at all times, but in cross country you are hidden from everyone and you get to run on all different types of courses. I really enjoy that.”

That being said, the event that has seemed to come naturally to her is the Steeplechase (a long distance race involving hurdles and a pool of water). The first year she competed in the event she made it to nationals. Eggleston had only officially raced the event three times before qualifying.

“The first time I tried it in practice I hit the national provisional (qualifying) time,” Eggleston said.

The Central women’s cross country team has only three more events left before the NCAA Division II National Championship in Louisville, KY.

Eggleston looks to help the Wildcats accomplish their goals.

“The most important goal for the season is to make it to nationals as a team,” Eggleston said. “While I’m there, I hope to perform well enough to be an All-American.”

The Wildcats will be competing in the Western Washington University Short course on Oct. 25 in Bellingham.