Orchestra takes CWU to the movies

Morgan Green, Staff Reporter

For the annual Halloween Pops Concert, the Central Symphony Orchestra is celebrating the musical talents of Oscar-winning composer, John Williams.

John Williams is a famous composer known for producing memorable scores for films such as “Indiana Jones,” “Schindler’s List,” “Stars Wars” and “Scent of a Woman.”

“John Williams’ music is the reason why the movies are so successful,” Nikolas Caoile, director of Orchestral Activities, said.

The 80-person symphony will be playing pieces from many of John Williams’  famous scores.

• IN TUNE – The Pop’s Concert on Oct. 29 will be the first performance that is led by graduate student conductors from the CWU Orchestra instead of a professor.

For the first time, a trio of Central orchestral graduate students will be the only conductors of the concert, breaking Central music department history. In all of the previous concerts, there has been a professor conducting.

John Williams’ compositions have won him five Academy Awards, 17 Grammys, three Golden Globes and two Emmys.

More of his original works include blockbusters like “Jaws” and “E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial.” He has composed music for nearly 80 other films.

Williams’ musical talent is not just focused on movies. He has also composed music for the NBC News and four Olympic Games.

“One of the greatest composers and conductors of our time,” Sam Booth, a graduate student in orchestral conducting, said about Williams.

Booth will be leading the orchestra through two of the five “Star Wars” movements.

Caoile said the trumpet section will have a very key part in the performance because they often carry the melody in the pieces. He said it will be very “loud and satisfying” and often times “bombastic.”

One piece featured in the performance will be a violin solo from “Schindler’s List.” Denise Dillenbeck, Central violin instructor, will be performing the solo, which has been described as haunting and beautiful.

“The music is captivating, engaging and exciting,” Caoile said.

Williams’ movie scores have inspired many musical minds over the years and in particular, Caoile’s.

Caoile was inspired by a program performed by the Oregon Symphony, which also performed Williams’ music. The Seattle Symphony also did a similar program called “Maestro of the Music.”

On top of performing the Oscar-winning music for the concert, the musicians will also be dressing in formal attire, as if they are attending The Oscars.

The orchestra is plans on dressing up in order to respect the music of Williams.

“We thought elegant would be better,” Caoile said.

Audience members are also encouraged to dress in their best Oscar attire.

Booth said he loves being up on stage, conducting the orchestra filled with so many talented students. Booth is very proud of the orchestra and says that they are a really good symphony, probably one of the best he has seen in the last four years.

The Pops Concert is also a fundraiser for the Central Symphony Orchestra.

The proceeds from the tickets are used to buy new music, host guest artists and help support the orchestra when they tour.

“I hope [that students] come and enjoy our ‘Night at the Oscars’ just as much as we’ve enjoyed preparing it,” Alisyn Christensen, graduate conductor who will be conducting three pieces, said.