Central dances with wolves

Jeffrey Macmillan, Staff Reporter

Homecoming is here and the Central Wildcats have had their date picked out for a long time. The boys from the ‘Burg welcome the Western Oregon Wolves and their renowned passing attack, which is currently ranked 23rd (296.2 yards/per) in the nation.

The first meet was a close finish with the Wolves edging out the Wildcats 34-36.

The Western Oregon’s passing attack suffered a huge lost when Ryan Berge, preseason all-conference selection senior, was sidelined earlier in the season due to injuries. His replacement, sophomore Trey Shimabukuro has filled in very well in his stead.

“Bergman is a special quarterback and very mobile,” Central Head coach Ian Shoemaker said. “The kid backing him up is a good thrower but not very mobile.”

However, the Wildcats will find themselves more concerned with the all-purpose weapons, wide receivers Paul Revis and Tyrell Williams.

Revis is averaging 203.5 yards per game in all-purpose yards. Williams is averaging a touchdown a game for his first six games. Their offensive production has allowed the Wolves to keep the passing attack on track, while the team deals with the game of musical chairs occurring under center.

“We will need to get pressue on the quarterbacks,” Shoemaker said. “Who ever it is.”

LEADERS OF THE PACK - Juniors (from left to right) Isaiah Davis, Jordan Todd and DeAndre Baines rush onto the field during last year's Homecoming game.
Photo courtesy of Rich Villacres
LEADERS OF THE PACK – Juniors (from left to right) Isaiah Davis, Jordan Todd and DeAndre Baines rush onto the field during last year’s Homecoming game.

On the defensive side of the ball, the Wolves will have to find a way to contend with Central’s explosive offense, which is the 23rd ranked offense for all of Division II football.

The Wolves will rely on run-stopping defensive linemen Kraig Akins to put a wrench into the multi-faceted offense of the Wildcats.

In the first meeting of this season between the two schools, Williams gave the Wildcats trouble as he caught five passes for 119 yards and three touchdowns.

Central junior linebacker Tovar Sanchez has been racking up huge numbers in the oppositions backfield with seven sacks and 11.5 tackles for loss.

Central’s offense is led by sophomore quarterback Jake Nelson who is 31st in the nation for touchdown passes. Nelson has recorded 12 touchdown passes so far this season.

In this match-up, Central is hoping to have a strong home field advatange and might have to look to their intimidating special teams defense.

This season, the Wildcats special teams have harassed opposing kickers and forced two blocked punts and four blocked field goals.

Central should benefit from the extra motivation that comes with the homecoming game. The Wildcats are expected to do some impressive things on the defensive side of the ball and the Wildcat fans should expect a big game from sophomore wide receiver Jesse Zalk.

“The last week we spread it [the ball] around and Zalk had his best game,” Shoemaker said. “We are at our best when we spread it around to multiple targets.

Zalk did not play in the first meeting against the Wolves, so the extra attention wide receiver Greg Logan can expect could allow Zalk to find soft spots underneath the Wolves coverage all game long.

“Hopefully I can get open and make something happen when I do,” Zalk said.