The ‘Burg celebrates College Radio Day

Maria Harr, Assistant Scene Editor

It’s easy to take 88.1 The ‘Burg for granted. Even students who do not tune in are treated to The ‘Burg’s music, talk shows and myriad of events when passing the SURC. Not every college is so lucky, with budget cutbacks leading to more and more college radio stations losing their funding.

To raise awareness about the importance of college stations all across the globe and celebrate their importance as a platform for free speech, The ‘Burg is participating in College Radio Day on Oct. 3.

“College Radio Day shows how relevant we are to the school and to the community,” Nikki Marra, The ‘Burg program director and College Radio Day advisory board member, said.

College radio stations are known for playing unsigned, independent musical artists and are often credited for the rise of these artists’ popularity. According to the official College Radio Day website, “College radio is one of the last remaining bastions of creative radio programming, free from the constrictions of having to be commercially viable. College radio is an important part of the media landscape because of its unique and fearless programming.”

The city of Ellensburg and the state of Washington seem to agree. Governor Jay Inslee proclaimed Oct. 3 “College Radio Day” and the City Council of Ellensburg has officially named the day “88.1 The ‘Burg Day.”

In a press release from The ‘Burg, Mayor Rich Elliot said, “This radio station and the students who run it are doing a great service to the city of Ellensburg.”

Nick Oliver, broadcast journalism junior and a core staff assistant in the music department at The ‘Burg, is hoping that misconceptions about people who work in college radio can be dispelled through the efforts of College Radio Day.

“It’s not just some people sitting in a creepy dungeon playing music,” Oliver said. “How it’s been portrayed in movies in the past, people always assume that’s what it is.”

Oliver and his fellow College Radio Day organizer Elena Larrabee, a psychology junior and brand manager at The ‘Burg, agree; if people came in and spent time at the station, they’d see how much more they do than “just” play music.

“Even if that is the opinion someone has, I’ll invite them in and say ‘Come in and talk with us, see what we do,’” Oliver said.

Larrabee hopes that the day will help other college radio stations that may be losing their funding or being shut down.

“The fact that a lot of college administrations are taking away funding because of these misconceptions is really sad,” Marra said.

Marra cited some of the many varied things student workers at The ‘Burg have a hand in, including pledge drives, 24 hour marathons and organizing the College Radio Day parade.

The day will be full of special programming from The ‘Burg: a parade, a concert, giveaways and a simulcast featuring celebrities and content from college radio stations all around the globe.

The on-campus festivities will begin at 11:30 a.m. with The ‘Burg parading through campus. Then at 1 p.m., on Chestnut St., the parade will begin its winding way through downtown Ellensburg led by The ‘Burg’s mascot, Burgfoot.

Over 200 college radio supporters will be a part of the parade, including The Hype Street Team, the CWU Cheerleaders, campus clubs and Central’s College of Business. The parade ends on N. Pine St. with a concert at the Elmira, headlining Mark Pickerel, the founder and drummer of The Screaming Trees.

Pizza Colin will offer $1 pizza slices at the concert and The ‘Burg will announce the winner of their giveaways, including a 45” flat screen TV. Students can play plinko at The Burg’s setups on either side of the SURC patios to enter the giveaways.