Opinion: On-campus employment brings joy?

stephani

BY Stephani Bailey

Copy Desk

Working at the Recreation Center for the past two years has been a life changing experience.

When I first got the job my freshman year, I had no idea that I would love it as much as I do now.

My boss has been wonderful and working with other college students has been a great way to make lifelong friends and stay connected with activities happening on campus.

One of the best parts about working with other students is that we are going through the same life changes and it is easy to relate. But just like any other job there are some days that are harder than others.

Having a job while going to school can be difficult no matter where you work and daily stress can make an impact in the work environment.

Thankfully, I have been blessed with a boss who understands that school comes first; another perk about having an on-campus job.

I would recommend on-campus employment to any student   because of how well it fits with class schedules.

There have been times when I’ve wished that I had an off campus job but I know they would not be as accommodating to my class schedule. The Rec. Center has presented me with many learning opportunities and I have grown so much as a student.

My job experience has been expanded too, especially in the customer service department and when it comes to talking to diverse people.

I have been in situations where an angry patron has come into the office and I am their first point of contact. Being in that circumstance has allowed me to learn and how to handle that kind of high stress situation.

Working in the administration office is not the first place people think of when they think about working at the Recreation Center. To be honest, that was not where I wanted to work when I first started looking for jobs my freshman year.

I have learned that being a secretary is not a job I want to have after I graduate and I know that I want a job where I am on my feet the majority of the day.

I loved working with different groups of people and improving my clerical skills.

However, my job is coming to a bitter-sweet ending on June 13. I will be leaving the Rec. Center and moving over to work for Campus Activities for my senior year. I am extremely excited to start this new chapter of my college career and add to my job experience.

Working at the Rec. Center has been a wonderful experience and I wouldn’t change it for anything; but I am thrilled to start my new job.

Personally I would recommend anyone looking for a job to look on campus first because they are convenient and working with other college students is amazing.w