Central students take to the rivers as the weather heats up

BY Chandler St. Louis

Staff Reporter

Have you ever had an idea for an outdoor trip but haven’t quite been able to make it happen? Bring your ideas into Outdoor Pursuits and Rentals (OPR), and they can make your adventure dreams happen.

The OPR, located on the east side of the SURC, offers many outdoor activities and opportunities for students.

The program gives students access to outdoor rental equipment and guided trips throughout the year. OPR also offers motivational speakers, clinics and films for outdoor enthusiasts while encouraging students to visit them on campus to hear about upcoming events.

It has scheduled trips planned for the spring, but also allows students to plan their own trips.

With a two week notice, students can bring ideas for trips into the OPR, and the staff will turn them into reality. They will plan every aspect of the trip, providing guides and planning transportation.

“We’re fully equipped to handle any excursion,” Tom Potter, trip coordinator for OPR said.

All students need to do is come up with an idea, choose a date and get a group of people to go. These custom trips give students the opportunity to be creative and plan something specific to their liking.

Trips in the past have included hiking trails around Ellensburg, floating rivers and bicycling trips to the west side of the mountains.

The purpose of the custom trips is for students to bring new ideas to the OPR staff.  The program is always looking for adventures to embark on.

“If students wanted to go Heli-Skiing in Alaska, we could make it happen,” Potter said. “The sky is the limit.”

OPR has many different types of outdoor equipment for rent. From floating down the Yakima River to going camping in the hills, it has what you need.

Students also receive special rates when they rent from OPR and can also make reservations if they know they will need certain equipment for a specific date.

Trips and events for Spring include sunset hikes, kayak pool sessions, whitewater kayaking classes, swift water rescue training, and wilderness first responder certification courses.

Students have many opportunities to enjoy the outdoors. Some of the most popular outdoor destinations around Ellensburg are Manashtash Ridge, Umtanum Creek Falls and Lions Rock.

OPR will continue to remain open during the summer but only for equipment rentals and rafting trips.

With the sun starting to shine and temperatures rising, it’s time to take advantage of the outdoor activities that Ellensburg has to offer.