Rollergirls smash Derby Dames 206-85

rollerderby

BY DONNIE SANTOS

Staff Reporter

The local Roller Derby team, the Rodeo City Rollergirls, mean one thing: business.

If anyone has never been to a roller derby bout, it is an experience of mental strategy, physical toughness and intense competition.

Jammers try to break through blockers to score points for their team. This is all done on roller skates.

Saturday, May 17, in the Ellensburg High School auxiliary gym, the Roller City Rollergirls battled against the Rolling Hills Derby Dames from Pullman, Wash. The final score was in favor of Rodeo City at 206-85.  Even though the final score was lopsided, the bout was fierce.

When an event has a section of seating called “suicide seats” due to likeliness of a derby girl getting knocked into your lap, it must be extreme.  The bout isn’t just a free-for-all slugfest. A lot of strategy goes into each team’s preparation for the competition.

“We practice for about six hours a week,” Roller City blocker, who goes by the name of Splitz-N-Giggles said. “Our team works very hard and loves the sport. I have loved playing over the last two years, and I really can’t get enough of it.”

There is a definite sense of teamwork and athleticism in this sport. The skating the girls do is an impressive sight. Forward, backward, sideways and stopping on a dime, all while being pushed and shoved from every angle is what it takes to be successful in this sport. The aggressiveness and strength of these teams is something that could be seen as very intimidating.

“The first fall was a hard one,” Rolling Hills jammer, Lisa Lawless said, “but this sport teaches you to get up and keep going. That is what makes this sport so great. You get to workout and be physical at the same time. The bruises can be pretty bad, though.”

The entire bout consists of short spurts of aggressive play, comparable to volleyball volleys. If you watched Olympic short course speed skating this winter during the Sochi games, you can imagine how the track is set up inside the gym. Six referees skate with the pile, dishing out penalties for illegal blocking techniques.

Roller derby is an adrenaline rush for all of those involved. The loud cries from the crowd during an aggressive play were exciting and dramatic for the energy of everyone in attendance.

The passion and fearlessness of the skaters made it near impossible to look away from the action.

The Rodeo City team has just begun their season. Their next home bout on June 7 is a doubleheader versus the Willamette Kidney Thieves and the Whidbey Island Rollergirls. It is an experience that will have Roller Derby “newbies” left with feelings of admiration for the toughness exuded during a bout.

For more information, you can learn more about the Rodeo City team at rodeocityrollergirls.com.