4th annual Sexapalooza educates students on sex health

By Katherine Golarz

Staff Reporter

The Residence Hall Association’s 4th annual Sexapalooza took place on May 13, 2014 in the SURC. Sexapalooza provides sex education to students in new ways. Taking the awkwardness out of the sex education, the event provides engaging education through different games and activities.

An estimated 80 students came by to learn about sexual wellness from a variety of 13 different clubs and organizations, including the Wellness Center, Feminist Club, EQaUl, Biology Club, Law & Justice Club, NRHH, Primate Awareness Network and Planned Parenthood.

The Wellness Centers booth featured a “Wellness Wheel” containing a variety of issues relating to STI prevention. The Feminist Club featured Slut Shaming Hangman. All of the tables were

The Law & Justice club, who were new to the event, had an activity that involved wearing drunk goggles and simulating the hazards of making sexual decisions while intoxicated.

Sociology major, Emalee Harper, participated in this activity. It required being spun around five times, then to pick up a condom off of the ground and try to properly put it on a cucumber.

“Even though it was rather a humorous activity, the activities at Sexapalooza were really informative and engaging,” Harper said.

RHA focuses on all students at Central, but a majority of the dorms are taken up by freshman. As they are new students to Central, it was important to target the freshmen whom are only beginning their college experience. RHA focuses on providing as much helpful information to students as possinle.

Of the event, incoming RHA Secretary Abigail Kostelecky said, “Sexapalooza is a lot of fun and a great way to get educated about the good and bad sides of sex.”

Overall, the event brought in many students this year. All of the clubs set up new booths with new activities and helped inform students. RHA makes sure to come up with new ways to keep students informed on sex education every year.