Wildcat baseball sweeps Holy Names

BY Chandler St. Louis

Staff Reporter

The Central Washington University baseball team completed the four game sweep  of the visiting Holy Names University Hawks. On Senior Day, and in the second back-to-back doubleheaders, the Wildcats won each game by the score of 8-5.

In game one, the Hawks jumped out to an early three-run lead, but the Wildcats quickly responded. Central scored four runs in the first, which proved to be enough support for senior pitcher Kurtis Pitcher.

Pitcher gave up a three-run home run in the first. He then threw seven innings and struck out 12 batters while allowing only five hits and three earned runs.

Scott Stone went two for three, driving in three runs for the Wildcats. The offense for Central continued to be productive as the team moves to 25-14 fr the seaso.

“It’s great to see the team clicking on all levels,” Pitcher said.

In game two of the doubleheader, the full team rallied to win. The Wildcats used six pitchers to earn the win against the Hawks. Sophomore pitcher Jake Levin helped Central in their win, and junior pitcher Cory Welch recorded his tenth save of the season. Senior first baseman Josh Potter went two for two in game two-driving in two runs for the Wildcats.

Senior right fielder Ethan Sterkel continued his hitting streak, driving in two runs, as well as scoring two.

The Wildcat players hope to continue to make a run for the conference title.

“We have to take it one game at a time,” Sterkel said.

The Wildcats travel to Spokane to face Whitworth on Tuesday April 22, for a one game series before heading to face Montana  State Billings for four games.