Sports: Buzzer-beating layup gives Crusaders 66-64 win over Wildcats

BY JULIA SANDERSON, Staff Reporter

The Central Washington University women’s basketball team lost to Northwest Nazarene On Saturday after a buzzer-beating layup.

The 66-64 loss pushes Central (6-11 overall, 1-8 Great Northwest Athletic Conference) into last place in the GNAC.

Junior forward Courtney Johnson scored the first points with a layup eight seconds into the game.

During the first half senior guard Jessica VanDyke made four three-pointers, and accumulated 12 points. Johnson was close behind with seven points in the first half.

Senior guard Ally Schmitt stole the ball with five seconds left in the half, making a layup just before the buzzer. She helped close the gap and the Wildcats went into half time down by seven points, trailing 37-30.

Johnson again recorded the first points of the half with a 3-pointer on the Wildcat’s first possession.

With 2:43 left in the game, VanDyke scored her sixth 3-pointer to tie the record for most 3-pointers in a career. The previous record holder was Becki Matzen with 171 3-pointers during her career.

“Its pretty unbelievable, she has only played here two and a half years, most people set those records in four years,” head coach Shawn Nelson said.

NNU led by as many as 11 in the half, but a 9-0 Central run with 3:41 left in the game brought the Wildcats back.

With less than a minute left on the clock, CWU senior center Amber Moser was fouled after a defensive rebound. Moser made one of two free throws, tying the game at 64-64.

With less than 12 seconds left in the game NNU’s Ellen Ferrenburg scored the game-winning layup as time expired.

Central plans to work on their free throws and come out stronger next Thursday night against Alaska Anchorage.

“Until we step up to the line and knock two down and do those things we are going to be in these close games,” Nelson said.

VanDyke led the team with a total of 23 points. Johnson followed with 14 points, and sophomore center Jasmine Parker had 12.

“It’s exciting. I’ve been in a slump and it feels good to finally come out and make some,” VanDyke said.