Scene: Sports Trivia Night tests sports lovers knowledge in SURC Pit

RANDI GIBBONS, Online Reporter

Students and community members gathered on Jan. 22 in the SURC pit for an evening of sports trivia. The event was hosted by University Recreation, Winegar’s, and 88.1 the ‘Burg.

Sports Trivia Night started last winter when Central’s Kayla Horning, a Special Event Assistant, and Eric Scott, Intramural Coordinator, collaborated on an idea to bring sports lovers together.

“We wanted to create an environment that involves people who don’t play but are still interested with sports,” said Horning.

The trivia ranged from tennis questions to the Seahawks. Groups of two to four people battled their way through rounds of questions to win the top prize.

The first place prize was an intramural championship shirt, while second place earned a $5.00 gift card to Winegar’s. Third place winners received a CWU cup.

This year’s new trivia also came with a new host.

Ethan Enstad, a sophomore and sports radio voice for the ‘Burg, joined the intramural event.

Enstad began his work on trivia night when he inherited the position from last year’s sports hosts. Enstad hopes his promotion on his own radio show will bring more people out to participate.

“I get to promote the event on my show to people who are interested in sports,” Enstad said.

Michael Dallas, a senior and Biology major here at Central, was apart of Wednesday night’s winning team.

“I like the atmosphere of this trivia night more than last years,” Dallas said. “This year they moved the location from Winegar’s to the SURC pit and added a power-point for visual aid.”

The upcoming trivia nights are Jan. 29, Feb. 5, 12, and 19, from 7:30-8:30 p.m. in the SURC Pit.