Sports: Wildcats sweep Yellow Jackets 25-17, 25-10, 25-23; Hanses finishes with match-high 11 kills

BY CHANCE WEEKS-WILLIAMS, Staff Reporter

Central Washington University women’s volleyball  swept Montana State University Billings on Saturday night at Nicholson Pavilion 25-17, 25-10, 25-23.

Central improved to 8-8 overall, 4-4 in the Great Northwest Athletic Conference while the Yellow Jackets dropped to 3-12 overall, 1-6 in GNAC.

The Wildcats were ready for the Yellow Jackets after focusing hard during practice leading up to the game.

“We worked on not being complacent on defense and worked on working under pressure,” said redshirt sophomore middle blocker Kaitlin Quirk, who finished with 6  kills and .267 hitting percentage.

Riding off a big win against GNAC opponent Seattle Pacific on Thursday, the Wildcats stormed out to a good start with a 12-5 run early in the first set. . The Wildcats continued their dominance  and finished the set 25-17.

In the second set of the match, sophomore outside hitter Rachel Hanses  had a dominating performance with 10 kills. Hanses led the Wildcats with 11 kills on the night, hitting .455 of her attempts.

“Everybody felt confident going in there and everybody had fun which had a lot to do with why we won,” Hanses said.

In the third set, the Wildcats came out a slightly flat but kept battling back with the Yellow Jackets.. The lead jumped from team to team, but it was the Wildcats who ended up winning the final set 25-23.

The Wildcats are on a two-game winning streak  and are looking to build off the win..

The Wildcats take on GNAC foe Northwest Nazarene Crusaders on Thursday at Nicholson Pavilion.