Scene: Music duo Schuettke and Hibbard, singer Guss crowned Mr. and Ms. Central during Tuesday night’s talent competition

BY ADAM WILSON, Assistant Scene Editor

Twenty-seven acts competed Tuesday night at the annual Mr. and Ms. Central talent competition.  The two winning acts were the musical duo of Roger Schuettke and Jake Hibbard from Stephens-Whitney hall, and singer Kenlee Guss from Quigley hall.

How does it feel to win Mr. and Ms. Central?

Hibbard (junior): Well we did it last year. Me and Roger both did it separately and came up short, and it feels pretty awesome.

Schuettke (sophomore sociology): It feels pretty good man.  We just like making music. We’ve been making music together for a long time.

Guss (freshman): Winning is great but performing is the best part about it.

Schuettke: Exactly, definitely performing is way better.

Why did you audition for your resident hall’s talent competition?

Schuettke: [Jake and I] like making music and we like sharing our talents with other people and that’s about it.

Guss: I just loved singing and it seemed like a fun thing to do.

How did you get into your talent?

Schuettke: Jake and I started singing in middle school together, actually, in choir. Just growing up we sang all throughout choir together in high school.

Guss: I started singing in choir and then I did voice lessons and competed throughout high school. It was fun.

Why did you come to Central?

Schuettke: I originally came here for the music program, but I dropped out of the music program.  Sociology!

Hibbard: [Ellensburg is] just a great town.  I love it, it’s small and quiet.  A really nice place, great people. I love it here.

Guss: I love the area and everyone’s really friendly, and it’s just a great school.

Why do you think you deserved to win?

Schuettke: I think  everyone deserved to win. That breakdancer was pretty frickin’ awesome. Everyone should’ve won tonight.

Hibbard: There’s a lot of really good talent up there and I honestly didn’t think we were going to win.

Guss: Yeah, I didn’t think I was going to win either.  It’s cool I guess, but everyone deserves recognition so it was great.