Ellensburg’s newest tattoo studio opens today in downtown

By JOSEPH BAUMAN
Staff Reporter

A new tattoo parlor opened its doors to the public on July 1st. The Roost will be located at 315 N. Main St., former location of Bahama Bronze. Kittitas County residents and co-owners of The Roost, Clayton Merritt, Tony Ritter, and Jared Carter have been planning and preparing for the next step in their career for six months. They have  found their ideal place to set up shop in a storefront in the heart of downtown.

The building, as well as the tattoo parlor’s name, holds an interesting bit of history with the city. Long ago, Ellensburg went by the name of Robber’s Roost. This name came from a trading post that had been established for cattle herders from surrounding areas. The building  they have set up shop in is also historical to Ellensburg.

Commemorating the history of Ellensburg, the co-owners; Merritt, Ritter and Carter, decided that “The Roost” would be a fitting name for the new establishment. The owners plan to construct a non-intimidating atmosphere for their clients.

“In most tattoo shops you see bright neon signs and obscene artwork on the walls,” Merritt said. “I believe some customers are put off by this.”

The Roost aims to promote an atmosphere that is welcoming for both those who have many tatoos as well as customers getting their first. Ritter and his fellow co-owners are planning to have wall space displaying local artworks from Central  students and community members.  t. With this addition, they hope to instill a sense of welcoming and involvement with the community. The tattoo artists and owners of The Roost are not looking solely to make a profit from their new storefront, but to make a name for themselves through their artwork.

“The quality of our artwork is much more gratifying than the value,” Carter said.

The three co-owners of The Roost are excited to open their doors to the public. They are ready to become part of the Ellensburg community and provide an exceptional service to their customers.

“Customer service has to be just as good as the quality of the tattoo,” Ritter said.