Central alum wins ‘Teacher of the Year’

By ALYSSA MARTINEZ, staff reporter

A trip to Washington D.C., welcoming staff at the White House and receiving a national award by President Barack Obama.

Though it may sound like the experience of a war hero or perhaps a Nobel Peace Prize winner, this was not the case for Jeff Charbonneau.

Late last month, Charbonneau, a Central Washington University alum, was honored at the nation’s capitol as “Teacher of the Year” by Obama. Charbonneau graduated from Central in 2001 with a bachelor’s degree in biology education.

While a student at Central, Charbonneau had a passion for guiding others.

“I knew him when he was here as a student because I was working at the registrars at the time,” Patti Minshull, program assistant for the Office of Continuing Education, said. This is where Charbonneau is currently an adjunct faculty for the professional certification program.

While Charbonneau was a student at Central, Minshull said he was also a student employee with the visitation program, which is run by Admissions.

“Our workspaces were very close together and we got to know each other on a fun, personal basis, and he was very positive,” Minshull said. “He seemed to always be thrilled to show students this campus. He would take them on tours and was so upbeat [and had] such a great attitude and [was] always excited to help others, and had tremendous CWU spirit.”

Both Charbonneau’s  co-workers and former students think very highly of him and his accomplishments as an educator.

Charbonneau’s co-workers and students also describe him as inspirational and motivating.

Charbonneau is currently a science teacher for various classes at Zillah High School.

“He was always really enthusiastic and always cared,” said Kaitlin Koppinger, senior biology major and also a former student of Charbonneau’s at Zillah High School. “He was probably one of the best teachers. I’m glad he is getting the attention he deserves.”

When asked what she remembered most about Charbonneau, Koppinger smiled and said, “He came in every day and said ‘Welcome to another day in paradise.’ ”

It is clear that Charbonneau has an unbridled passion for teaching and also for life as a whole. He exudes motivation and confidence and his recent honor of “Teacher of the Year” from Obama is a testament to that.

“The reality is that paradise cannot simply be found,” Charbonneau said. “It must be built, maintained and improved each and every day. It requires sweat equity, triumphs over adversity and consistently positive attitudes.”